Fighting

Like most nights, Josh was at his desk pouring over his homework. He was nearly done with college, and he would certainly not miss this. He would, however miss the gorgeous blond girl that inhabited nearly all of his waking thoughts, and most of his dreams too.

Almost as if by wishful thinking, he heard his phone buzz. He looked down hoping the message was from Maya. Instead it was from Riley. It read: Have you seen Maya? Something is wrong, but I don't know what. She wouldn't tell me and now I can't find her. She's not responding to any of my messages.

Josh felt a lump in his throat. He quickly responded and stuffed his phone in his pocket. He grabbed his jacket and headed for the door to find her. Before he could even open the door all the way he was stopped in his tracks.

Maya was on the other side, but she wasn't her usual effervescent self. Her cheeks glistened with the residue of her half dried tears. Without so much as a word, she walked into his room. He shut the door behind her as she walked over to his bed.

"Hey gorgeous," Josh greeted, her as he always did, before inquiring, "What's wrong? Riley messaged me. She's really worried about you. You tell her everything. Please talk to me." He walked over to sit next to her, which, to his surprise, caused her to move away quickly before standing up completely and walking across the room.

"Maya," Josh sighed, before following suit and standing up as well, "Why won't you tell me what's wrong?"

"I-I-I can't," She stammered as she stood there with her arms folded, almost hugging herself. Tears began to fill her already puffy blood shot eyes, "I don't want to talk about it." She turned her back to him.

"Why not? You walked all the way here, didn't you? There must have been some reason you decided to come here." Josh continued asking, as he grew more and more concerned.

"Because if I do, I will fall apart," Maya protested, almost snapping at him, "If say the words, I'll start crying. If I start crying, I don't think I'll be able to stop."

"Maya, what happened?" Josh pressed as he slowly walked toward her, his eyes locked on hers.

"My...dad...died," Maya barely got out between small sobs as she gave into his intense gaze.

"Oh my god," Josh gulped, "How did it happen? When did you find out?"

"He-He w-was in a car accident. His wife called my mom. She just told me," Maya answered fighting back the sobs, before covering her face.

"Oh Maya," Josh sighed before trying to hug her, "Come here." His heart ached to see how broken she was.

"No! No! No!" Maya repeated over and over as she resisted, trying to push him away. The more he tried to hug her, the harder she fought. She struck his chest with her small fists over and over, until his strong embrace overpowered her. She released her fists and buried her face in her hands against his chest as he held her.

Soon her sobs took over her body and her knees began giving out. He carried her over to his bed where he held her as she formed a ball on his lap. He rested his head on top of her head as he rocked her back and forth.

"I'm so sorry, Maya," Josh whispered over and over as he kissed the top of her head. He wanted nothing more in the world than to take her pain away but he was feeling completely helpless. He had never seen her so vulnerable and he honestly didn't know what to do.

Slowly her sobs quieted as Josh could feel her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. He pressed his lips to her temple as she raised her head and began trying to wipe her eyes.

"I used to hate him so much," Maya finally said when she had calmed down, not yet able to make eye contact with Josh yet, "For just walking out and leaving us, for leaving my mom all alone. But now, I just wish I could see him one more time. For so long I never wanted to see him. I can't believe I never will again."

"Maybe you should talk to Shawn," Josh suggested, hesitantly, "If anyone would have any idea what you are going through, it's him."

"Really? I mean I know his dad died, but...he doesn't talk about it much," Maya questioned, finally looking up and meeting Josh's gaze, "I don't know..."

"I happened a little before I was born," Josh began recalling the story, "Cory told me the story a few times. Shawn's father was gone a lot and the times he was around, he barely was. The last time he came back around was when Shawn was around your age. He promised he'd be sticking around but Shawn was still so mad at him. Then he had a heart attack and he died before Shawn could really forgive him."

"Wow," Maya breathed as Josh wiped the last stray tears from her stained cheeks, "Maybe I will talk to him. I'm just not ready yet. Thank you, though for being here for me."

Maya repositioned herself, as Josh loosened his embrace, until she was straddling his lap. She smiled slightly as she ran her fingers through his hair, before leaning in and kissing him, as Josh rested his hands on the small of her back.

After a few moments she climbed off of him and stood up to straighten herself out. She ran her fingers though her hair and tried to smooth the wrinkles out of her clothes. She took a peek his mirror, trying to wipe the smeared makeup from her face.

"Do you want me to take you home?" Josh offered, standing up and walking toward her, hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, that would be great. I'd really like to be with my Mom and Shawn tonight," Maya accepted, appreciatively, before adding, "But just so you know, this is home for me. I'm home when I'm wrapped in your strong arms."

Maya stood on her tip toes and quick stole a peck from Josh before sliding her fingers between his and following him out to his car.