And First Days Back

Jamie leaves in a huff, mumbling something about Riley driving me to work. I'm more than happy to find out we aren't driving together. He is in a terrible mood and it's rubbing off on me. I am grumpy as I follow Riley out to his car, sliding into the back in a huff. "Everything okay back there?" Riley asks when he gets into the car, looking over his shoulder at me. I flash him a fake smile and nod my head. Why is Jamie in such a bad mood? What did I do? I cross my arms, sinking down into the backseat as my mind races. He was talking to Isabella this morning. Maybe that has something to do with it. She is an angry woman so I can see her putting Jamie in a bad mood. Why is he friends with her? I have yet to find anything out about Isabella other than she's an old friend, his dad's ex who he doesn't want to see, and oh yeah she hates me. "He really has been so much better since you came into his life." Riley says, snapping me out of my thoughts. I sit up, staring at him in confusion. "I know he's in a bad mood today, and you know as well as anyone that that's just his nature. But since he's met you he has been so much happier." Riley speaks softly, taking a quick right turn. I blink at him, flushing a little. "Why is he in such a bad mood today Riley?" I practically whisper, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Riley looks at me in the rear view and I can see him sighing. "What is it?" I ask louder. This is seriously irritating me. "All I know is that it's Isabella. You'll have to ask him yourself if you want to know more." Riley replies and the car falls silent again. What the fuck is going on?

     When I get to the office I am fired up over Jamie, and I think once I've gotten settled at my desk I'll go to his office and give him a piece of my mind. But when the doors ping open on my floor and I step into the lobby Allen is squealing and racing around his desk. In a second I am wrapped in a warm clean smelling hug. "How are you? Oliver told me you were in an accident. I tried to get a hold of you but you were like MIA for this entire week." Allen speaks quickly, squeezing me tight then releasing me to arms length so he can examine me. He makes a face at my bruised and stitched head. "God Jess." he gasps and puts his hand over his mouth. "Don't, I'm fine." I smile at him, I don't need the entire office to look at me like this all day. "I'm just happy you're back." he says, then suddenly his eyes narrow and he moves his hands to his hips. "What?" I giggle, wondering what he's about to go on about. "Don't get mad...but there is a rumor running around the office." he taps his foot now. "What sort of rumor?" I place my hands on my hips now, staring back at Allen. "That you just might be the reason Mr. Dornan divorced." Allen says and I can feel the blood drain from my face.

     "Is that seriously what people are saying?" I whisper, overcome with embarrassment. "Don't be upset! They aren't saying it quite like that...at least not everyone. Most people just know you two are a thing, which is obviously true based on your reaction. But there is also the rumor that you two were seeing each other while he was still married." Allen raises an eyebrow at me and I sigh, looking down at my feet. "Oh you bad girl!" Allen smacks my shoulder playfully and I look up at him horrified. "Allen, everyone now thinks I'm a total slut." I say to him, glaring as he giggles at me. "Stop it! They do not! It's great, all everyone can talk about is how much more they like you over your sister. Don't dwell on the rumors." Allen hooks his arm into mine, leading us to his desk. "But they aren't rumors. They're the truth." I pout as we stop at the front of the desk. Allen turns so we are face to face again. "Potato, tomato. Or however that thing goes. Everyone loves you here Jess, I promise you have nothing to worry about. Besides by the end of their week there will more new juicy office drama for everyone to obsess about." Allen winks at me and squeezes my hand. And I do feel a little better, at least now we really don't have to hide our relationship at the office. I smile at Allen and head towards Oliver's desk a little anxious. 

     When I finally get to my desk Oliver and Tyler both are standing in front of it waiting for me. They clap loudly as I approach them, my face heating. There are two large bouquets of roses on my desk along with several cards. "Jessica!" Oliver bellows, smiling so wide it seems like his face might just crack. He wraps his large arms around me and pulls me into a warm and comforting hug. I giggle but hug him back. I like Oliver, a lot. "I was so worried about you. You have no idea how good it is to have you back." he says, squeezing me tight before finally letting me go. He's still smiling at me, though his eyes look a little worried as he looks at my cut. "Jeez girl. You really banged yourself up huh?" he says and I nod with a shrug. "Jess." Tyler's slick voice is behind Oliver and then before I can even stop it he's wrapping me in an unwelcome hug. He holds me tightly, pressing my chest into his and his hands are rubbing up and down my back. My skin is crawling, dying to get away fro his touch. I can feel his left hand heading south to my behind and I am thankful Oliver is here and Jamie isn't. "I was so, so worried about you Jess." Tyler says softly right into my ear. I pull my head away from him, wiggling out of his grasp before his hand can reach my full behind. His eyes are bright when I pull away, flashing him a fake smile. "Come on Tyler. Give her some air." Oliver slaps his hand over Tyler's shoulder and pulls him back, smiling at the both of us. How does he not sense my complete disgust for Tyler? 

     "I tried to keep your workload light today okay. So there isn't a whole lot for you to do, just take it easy to day. Ease back into the work." Oliver smiles at me and I nod to him, dropping my tote on the floor next to my desk. He and Tyler watch me carefully. "Guys, I'm fine. I promise." I smile to reassure them, picking up the cards from the two bouquets. "Right, well Tyler go ahead and head down to fifteen and grab those papers for me. I'll meet you in the conference room." Oliver says to Tyler who takes a long look at me before heading off down the hall leaving Oliver and I alone. One bouquet is from him and the other from Tyler. Gross. "Jess. Are you sure you're alright. If you need to take another week off we can figure something out." Oliver looks at me sympathetically, taking my right hand. I smile at him, squeezing his hand. "I promise I'm fine. I am more than ready to be back, I've been going a little crazy being cooped up all week." I laugh and he smiles. "I hope I'm not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong too much here but I just want to say I am ecstatic to hear about you and Mr. Dornan. I think you are very good for him." Oliver smiles at me, patting the top of my hand with his free one. I stare at him, unsure of how to answer. "I like you very much Jessica, I see you as a second daughter really. And Jamie has been a good and loyal friend to me for several years. So I am so glad to see the two of you happy together." Oliver beams, his eyes glowing as he speaks. My heart fills with warmth. Oliver is such a good man, I am so lucky to have him as a boss. "Thank you Oliver, that really means a lot to me." I smile and he nods. "I'll leave you too it then Jess, just let me know if there is anything you need from me okay?" he squeezes my hand one last time and releases it, heading back to his office. "Oliver?" I ask, turning to him before he enters his office. He stops at the door, smiling at me. "Can I ask you something?" I say softly, scratching my left arm. "Yes. What is it?" he says happily and I clear my throat. "Do you know...do you know anything about Isabella Tanner?" I stare at him timidly, unsure of what kind of reaction her name will get. 

     Oliver looks at me softly and rubs his chin. "She is a friend of Mr. Dornan's, and she used to be married to his father....you know this?" he sighs softly and I nod. "Do you know why they divorced?" he narrows his eyes and I shrug. "No one does, not me or anyone else I know. The only thing I'm sure of is that he values her friendship, but there is something dark there. There has always been something dark with him. I wish I had more to tell you but I just don't." Oliver sighs again, shrugging himself. "It's okay. Thank you Oliver, for everything." I smile and stand up straight. "Anything for you. I'll check in later." he nods heading into his office again but my mind is running away with me. I need to see Jamie, to talk to him. So I check my reflection on my phone screen, puffing up my hair and head for the elevators. I'm not even really mad at him anymore, I just have this empty feeling in my stomach that I know only he can fill.