This Is Getting Old

The rest of the week is really rather busy, and Jamie is very preoccupied. He's been home late every night of the week, and I've already been asleep by the time he gets home. And in the morning he's usually leaving just as I'm heading into the kitchen for breakfast. On Friday I'm worried about us not seeing each other all week and I sit down with a large sigh, staring at Joan. She smiles at me. "What is it?" she says, leaning against the counter towards me. "Do you think he is avoiding me?" I ask, genuinely worried he might be. Joan frowns at me and shakes her head. "No, not at all. He's a very busy man Jess. Part of dating a successful man is dating a busy man. You'll have him all to yourself this weekend." she winks at me and I flush a little. We haven't played all week, which is unusual and why I am feeling so self conscious. "But, I do have to ask you something." Joan perks up and I do too. "Shoot." I smile, sipping my coffee. "As you know Rita is a photographer and I was speaking to her about your work. She has a wedding tomorrow and she wants to know if you want to go with as her assistant. You'll be taking your own photos to sort of show her what you can do and you can bring a plus one...so Jamie can come." Joan smiles wide at me. "Seriously?" I suddenly forget about all of my problems, beaming at Joan who nods frantically. "Yes! Oh my god yes! You're the best!" I exclaim, hopping up to wrap her in a hug. "Good, I'm glad you think so. I'll let Rita know. You won't need to bring anything, all the equipment will be supplied." Joan says as we pull apart. "Great!" I clap my hands, looking at the time. "I have to go. But I can't wait, I have been needing something to occupy my mind and this is the perfect thing!" I say and grab my things, blowing her a kiss before heading out of the kitchen.

Work is a complete daze that day. I am busy typing and running faxes all day and ten minutes before my shift is over I am wrapping up an e-mail thinking about how Tyler has been pretty tolerable this week when he pops up out of nowhere at my desk. "What are you doing this weekend Jess? Any big plans?" he smiles down at me, sleazy and uncomfortable. "Uh, just a wedding I'm shooting at." I say, turning back to my e-mail. "Shooting?" he frowns at me. "Uh, camera. I'm photographing a wedding." I say as I finish the last line of the e-mail. "Oh, I didn't know you liked to take photos. I think that's extremely attractive, a woman who has an eye for the real beauty of the world." Tyler smiles at me, licking his lips and winking. My blood freezes and he's about to open his wormy mouth again when my phone buzzes loudly in front of me. It's Brandon. I am thankful for the distraction but also thankful to be hearing from him. "Sorry, I have to take this." I shrug at Tyler who nods but doesn't leave as I answer, instead he stays planted in front of me.

I turn in my seat so the back is facing him, "Brandon. Hi!" I smile, trying to forget Tyler is there. "Jess, oh gosh. How are you? Tisha called and told me what happened but I've been having phone issues so I just got the message. How are you feeling?" he asks, worry in his voice. "So much better. All of my stitches have dissolved and I'm just left with a faint bruise on my head and on my collarbone." "Yeah, Tisha said the doctors told you you would always have issued with your collarbone. I'm sorry Jess, that entire situation must have been awful for you." "It was. But I'm better now. Much better...I'm sure Tisha told you what happened with Jamie." "Yeah...I mean the cliff not version. You'll have to tell me the full story someday." "I will. How are you? Prepping for Thanksgiving? Are you headed to California to meet up with your dad and Josie. You know she's being sort of an awful friend right now, she hasn't talked to me in a long time...." "Jess...that's why I'm calling." the tone in his voice is frightening and I sit up straight, my heart rate increasing. "What do you mean? What's wrong?" I say quickly. "No calm down. Josie is fine...I mean as far as we know. I'm sure she is though but..." "But what?" "I guess she ran off with some boy she met in Cali. Dad said she was talking about how she just knew that she loved him and dad said he wasn't sure and then the next day she told dad she was leaving for Alaska with him. She got on a flight last week and we haven't heard from her since." I listen to Brandon's words, unsure of how I'm supposed to take this.