Jealousy Runs On Both Sides

“Lying again, are we, Albus?” Severus asked sardonically. “Let’s see, who have you lied to this time? That’s right,” he snapped his fingers as if connecting two thoughts together, “your granddaughters.”

Albus looked up from his copy of Transfiguration Today and gazed at him steadily. “I don’t believe I understand what you mean, Severus.”

Narrowing his black eyes in disbelief, Severus leaned forward, placing his hands on the desk. “I think you know quite well what I’m referring to,” he hissed. “It’s your fault that they came up to me, hugged me, and then told me a little interesting fact. Care to hear what it is?”

“I am under the impression you’ll tell me whether or not I want to hear it.”

“You told them they are to be married to Remus Lupin!” Severus snarled.

Albus sighed, setting his book aside. “Very well, I told them a small lie. But you of all people should appreciate what I’m doing here, Severus,” the headmaster said seriously. “You’ve been complaining to me for years how my granddaughters have tormented you-”

“Yes, well -”

“-how they have driven you to the point of insanity-”

“I don’t quite remember saying-”

“-and how you didn’t appreciate their insistent attention to you,” Albus finished. “In any case, Remus is rather attracted to them.”

Severus’ usually ashen face turned an unsightly shade of red. “I beg your pardon?” he questioned with a deadly soft tone, his black eyes glittering dangerously. “You must be mistaken, Headmaster, because Remus Lupin doesn’t have the spine to do anything more than teach the class about hinkypunks, let alone handle your granddaughters.”

Albus smiled cheerfully. “Ah, yes, well, isn’t that the sheer beauty of it all? Angel and Kat are engaged to you unknowingly, the one person who certainly doesn’t love them, but they think that they’re engaged to a man who they could never love.”

“Lupin cannot love them!” Severus spat angrily.

“Oh?” the headmaster said innocently. “Why are you so worried, Severus? You’re going to be married to them soon enough.”

Severus immediately straightened up stiffly, his lip curling in disdain. “Yes, well, that shall be the day I regret the most,” he snapped. “Now if you will excuse me, I have something that needs to be addressed instantly.”

With a swish of his cloak, Severus swept out of the office.

Albus sat there, smiling even wider. “I really should keep my nose out of things!” he murmured happily, returning to his book.

 ***

Kat and Angel were not happy, to put it lightly. They kept glaring at Lupin every time he walked by. He pretended that they weren’t, but he couldn’t ignore them forever. After a half an hour of detention went by, he finally sighed.

“What is the matter with you both?”

“Don’t act like you don’t know!” Angel growled, crossing her arms. “Kat, you tell him –Oh, hello!” She brightened up considerably when she saw who was in the doorway. “Professor, why didn’t you tell us you’d be here?”

Severus scowled. “I wasn’t planning on it, Miss Dumbledore,” he sneered. “I was just coming by to give Lupin something.” He placed a goblet on Lupin’s desk.

“Professor!” Kat called, waving her hand in the air. “Hi! Hi, Professor! It’s me, Kat! Do you remember me? I’m in your Potions class and sometimes… sometimes I’m really loud, but it’s okay, because you’re cool with it, right, sir, eh? Eh?”