Two Truths and a Lie

“Granddaughters, would you please come with me?” Albus inquired, smiling gently at Angel and Kat. They shrugged at the same time and followed the headmaster into McGonagall’s classroom. It was currently empty as everyone was eating lunch still.

“Is there something wrong?” Kat asked uncertainly as soon as the door was shut.

Their grandfather shook his head. “No, nothing. In fact, I’m confident that the news I will give you is going to make you pleased.”

The twins shared a weary look. Oftentimes what their grandfather deemed as something good was a far cry from what they considered to be good. Angel cleared her throat, narrowing her eyes. “Spit it out, Grandfather. No use in keeping us in the dark. We’re going to find out eventually, you know,” she said, smirking.

“You girls are quite intelligent –and I’m not just saying that because I love you,” he replied warmly. Kat snorted. “So I’m prepared to offer you an alternative to sitting in classes, bored all day.” The girls unconsciously leaned forward, interests piqued.

“Your point?” Angel asked.

“Would the two of you like to assist Professor Snape in his classes? Between spying, teaching, and everything else, I’m afraid the man rarely gets any sleep.”

Angel’s eyes glazed over, retreating into her imagination. “Mm, Sexy in a bed…” She trailed off, a dreamy smile on her lips. Kat elbowed her sister lightly in the side. “What? I can think about him if I want to!”

“Yes, you can, but you might want to stop drooling,” Kat said dryly.

“Okay, we’ll take the job,” Angel said eagerly, changing the subject. The headmaster beamed delightedly.

“I knew you’d agree!” he exclaimed. “Which leads me to the next point of business: I’ve arranged for the two of you to get married.”

That wiped the smile off both of their faces. Angel straightened up, clenching her hands into fists angrily. Kat, on the other hand, had shut her eyes tightly, trying to process what he had just said. “What do you mean, you’ve arranged for us to get married?” Angel questioned sharply, eyes flashing.

Albus held up his hands, a silent plea for her to calm down. “My dear, all is not as bad as it seems. The man is very nice and I know he loves the both of you.” Angel made a skeptical noise, crossing her arms.

"Oh, yeah, right," Kat spat scathingly. "Who is this wonderful male who is to be our husband?"

"I cannot tell you that, my dear," he answered, his tone regretful, but firm.

Angel stalked over to him, getting in his face. "And why not?" she hissed. She didn't plan on letting their grandfather leave until she got a straight answer. And so Albus did the wisest, yet most foolish, thing he could've done.

He lied through his teeth. "Because, my dear, he wishes to keep his identity a secret as to admire the two of you from afar."

She made to get her wand from her pocket, but Kat latched on to her arm, sending her sister a silent look that told her to back off. For now. Angel took a step back, turning on her heel and taking Kat with her out the door without saying goodbye. She didn't stop walking until they had turned at least four corners. "What's up?"

"He wasn't going to tell us the truth," Kat replied grimly. "So I figured we might as well get the hell out and cut our losses."

Angel growled. "I cannot believe he just-just sold us out like that!"

Kat held up her hand. "He did... but I also think that he didn't." Angel rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"Didn't you hear him? He said that he's 'arranged' it. It's pretty damn obvious what he meant, Kat."