Chapter Nine: Sadness

Amethyst's POV:

I ran down the hall to try and find Pearl. I saw her run around a corner. "Pearl!" I yelled and she turned around to look at me. I saw that she ran into the bathroom and I ran after her. When I ran into the bathroom I heard short, muffled sobs. "Pearl." I said in a gentle tone. "Go away." She said and I sat down on the floor in front of her bathroom stall. The floor seemed clean enough. "I am not leaving you." I said and let out a sigh. "I...I didn't mean to." Pearl stuttered and I knew that she was still crying. "Neither did I." I said and the sniffles stopped. I got up off of the floor and the bathroom door squeaked open. "Really?" Pearl asked, poking her head out of the door. "Really." I said and Pearl smiled. I grabbed some toilet paper from the stall next to her stall and handed her the toilet paper. "Thanks." She said and dabbed her eyes with the toilet paper. "Do you want to go back to class?" I asked and right after I did Rose walked into the bathroom. "How is everything?" She asked and Pearl looked fine. "Fine." I said and Rose smiled at us. "I want to take you two out for lunch today." She said with a smile. We both looked at each other and smiled. "That would be great." I said and I saw that Pearl nodded her head. We all heard the bell ring and Rose started to chuckle. "Not a moment too early." She said and started to walk out of the bathroom. We both followed her. I felt a hand slide down my arm and down to my hand. I looked down and saw a white arm connected to a white hand and it was holding mine. "Pearl?" I whispered. "Huh?" She seemed as if she was spacing off. "Sorry." She looked down and blushed. "You're fine." I said.

All of us eventually reached Rose's car and we got in the back seat, while Rose was in the front, since she was the driver. She started to drive down the road and I looked over at Pearl. She was blushing a light blue. "You okay P?" I questioned and she looked at me. "Fine." She said and I started to think. She was acting different ever since we fused. Maybe it will go away.

We all eventually reached a restaurant. It was a fast food place. "Gemy's?" I questioned. The food looked good, but I have never been there before. Rose nodded her head. "Yep. I thought you might want to go here." She said and I nodded my head. We all stepped inside the restaurant. I thought it smelled good in there. Pearl looked a little disgusted. "You alright?" I asked and Pearl nodded her head. "It does not smell that nice in here." She said and I saw that the lady at the counter was calling us up. "Hello, may I take your order?" She asked and I smiled. Her gem was on her chest, like mine. She had a light blue tint to her skin and she had a nice smile. Pearl looked at her and focused on her face. "Aquamarine?" Pearl asked. "Pearl?" Both of their eyes went wide. "Oh. My. Goodness." Aquamarine said. "It is you. I've missed you!" Aquamarine yelled and threw her arms around Pearl. Pearl did the same. I looked over at Rose who was smiling at the two of them. I don't know why, but I felt jealous. "Who is she?" I asked Pearl and I saw,she was crying a little. "My best friend." She said and those words hit me like daggers. Right through the gem. Not literary, of course. "Oh." Was all I could get
out. "Nice to meet you." I said. "Nice to meet you too." Aquamarine said. "I get off of work in an hour, if you want to hang out or something." Pearl smiled at her. "Of course! Can Aquamarine spend the night?" Pearl asked Rose and she nodded her head. "Yay!" Aquamarine yelled with excitement. They both laughed together. "Do you want to eat with us?" She asked and Aquamarine shook her head. "I have work to do." She said and smirked. "I can take you out later if you like. I get payed today. Maybe we could go out to a nice restaurant." She said with a smile and Pearl nodded her head. "Yes. I would love that." Pearl said and she smiled. Aquamarine must have noticed we were holding up the line. "Want do you want to order?" She asked. "Salad." She said and Aquamarine looked at her in shock. "You eat now?" She asked. Pearl nodded her head. "And for you?" She asked me. "I don't want to eat." I said. She looked at me with a frown. "And for you?" She asked Rose and she smiled. "French fries." She said and Aquamarine smiled at her as well. It made me feel bad that she didn't smile at me, but I shrugged it off. "That will be $5.35." She said and Rose handed her the money. Aquamarine put it in the cash register and handed back the change. "See you tonight Pearl." She said with a smile. "It can't come fast enough." Pearl said back to her and they both laughed.

The three of us sat down at a booth and Pearl and Rose began to eat. I sat there and felt a tear run down my face. I sat on the outside of the booth, so I did not need to ask Pearl to move. I walked to the bathroom. When I walked in, I went into one of the stalls and shut the door and locked it. Tears started to fall down my face. I buried my face into my arm and slid down the wall and cried. My face was in my knees to quiet down my sobs. "Amethyst?" This voice belonged to Rose. "Yes?" I asked and when I spoke, it sounded like I had been crying. "Are you alright?" She asked and I sighed. "No." I said. "Why?" She asked and I heard sincerity in her voice. "Pearl and her new friend. I don't think Aquamarine likes me. What if Pearl forgets about me." I said. My tears started to fall off my face an onto on the floor. "She won't forget about you." When she said that I walked out of the stall and I was met with open arms. I ran up to Rose and hugged her. I wish I could get hugs like this all the time. "Thank you." I said and looked up at Rose, who was looking down at me. "Your welcome. We need to get back to school." When Rose said that I groaned. She giggled. "Let's go get Pearl." She said and we both walked out of the bathroom.