14.Decisions

A soft knock on the door made Vex snap out of her thoughts. She looked up, her gaze landing on the door, and blinked twice.

Another knock was heard and Vex had finally found her voice. "Come in," she murmured.

Slowly, the door opened and Steve made his way inside the room. He hesitantly sat down next to Vex, not saying a word.

There was a comfortable silence between them. But there was also an elephant in the room and no one wanted to speak on it.

Deciding to break the silence, Steve cleared his throat. "I didn't know you owned pants," he joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Vex let out a soft laugh as she took in her current attire. She had on a pair of loose, dark blue sweatpants and a black long-sleeved shirt that was a size to big.

"These are sweats but, yes, I do own pants," she told him, shrugging. "My attire is not limited to just dresses and heels."

Steve smiled as they descended into a comfortable silence. "We're going to South Africa in a couple of hours," he said.

"Are you asking me to come with you?" Vex asked, her upper lip twitching slightly in amusement.

"I'm not asking you to come with me-"

Vex raised an eyebrow in Steve's direction, causing his face to go red.

"I meant us, not you and I, I mean the Avengers!" He stuttered, shaking his head as he struggled to get the sentence out.

"It's quite alright Steve," Vex laughed, her blue eyes twinkling.

"So, are you going to come with us?" Steve asked, his tone serious once more. "We can drop you back off in France if you'd like."

"I'm going to be completely honest with you Steve, I actually kind of do want to stay," she began, looking at her sweats.

"Great, then-"

"But I don't want to be apart of a team when no one trusts me," she finished, cutting him off. Her blue eyes found his and all he could see was sadness.

"I look at you all and I see trust. I mean you argue a lot but at the end of the day...you trust each other," Vex continued. "I don't want to be an outcast that no one can trust with anything."

"Of course they aren't going to trust you right away," he told her. "None of us trusted each other when we first met, but-"

"now you do," Vex finished for him, raising an eyebrow. "Everyone has trust but where does that leave me? Where do I fit in? Steve, I've already been an outcast once. I don't want to be an outcast doing something I believe is right."

Steve looked at her as he thought about it. "Well you know what, I trust you," he said.

"Would you trust me with your life, if it ever came down to that?" Vex asked, placing her head on her knees.

"Yes, I would," he answered honestly, giving her a small smile. "I know everyone doesn't completely trust you yet, but almost everyone likes you; and if you help us with this, I'm pretty sure they'd trust you."

Vex nodded slowly. "I guess," she mumbled, shrugging.

"I'm not asking you to join the Avengers, I mean-you can if you want but," Steve began, "I'm just asking you to help us get the scepter back."

"Does that also mean I have to help you destroy Ultron?" Vex questioned quietly.

"Sadly, yes," he replied, nodding slowly. Vex didn't say anything after that and Steve sighed, standing up.

"Well whatever you chose," Steve told her, his voice soft, "I'll be with you. We'll all be with you."

Steve placed a hand on her shoulder, causing Vex to look up and meet his gaze. She gave him a small smile and he quickly returned it.

"I hope you have wonderful dreams Steve," Vex murmured, watching as he made his way towards the door.

He chuckled slightly. "I sure hope so too, Vex," he replied, smiling a bit as he answered her.

"You used my real name," Vex grinned, all of her teeth showing.

"I'm trying something new," Steve said, shrugging as he opened the door.

The two stayed quiet for a while, just staring at each other. There were small smiles on their faces but no one said anything or made any attempts to move.

"Goodnight Vex," Steve mumbled, beginning to leave.

"Goodnight Steven," Vex murmured, her French accent strong as she grew tired.

Steve closed the door and Vex got under the covers, turning off the light. Because she had a room on the side of the building, there were multiple, large floor-to-ceiling windows, completely taking up the wall.

She had an amazing view of the bright lights of New York, so her room wasn't that dark. Realizing that she wasn't going to get any sleep, Vex pulled the covers off of herself and got up.

The brunette made her way over to the two white armchairs that were seated by the window, and sat down in one, her brain to scattered to enjoy the scenery. As she looked out, her eyes scanning everywhere, Vex thought about her choices.

Did she want to stay with the Avengers? Did she want to go back home to France?

Both offers had their pros and cons. If she went back to France, she could finally have freedom; the freedom she had wanted since she was a child.

But, she would have guilt bigger than Texas. What if the Avengers failed and there would've been something she could have done.

If she went with the Avengers, she could do something right. She could have friends and a team. But the downside of that would be easy: dying or failing...or both.

But everyone dies at some point right?

Vex sighed as she stared out the window, pursing her lips.

"Decisions, decisions."

What do you think Vex will choose. Don't think automatically that she will go with the Avengers.

I could easily give her a life without them.

Vote, Comment, Follow, and Stay Tuned until tomorrow