11.Shirley Temples and Manners

Vex sat in the room that Tony had given her, not moving. She wanted to leave, desperately, but she also wanted to stay. It was weird, knowing that no one on the team trusted her yet she still wanted to stay. Some of them liked her though, and some didn't mind her.

But she didn't have a place amongst them. She didn't work well in teams and that wasn't going to change.

"I'm sorry but Mr. Stark requests that everyone head to the lounge in ten minutes, the guest will be arriving in fifteen," Tony's A.I system, JARVIS, instructed.

"Thank you," Vex murmured quietly. She stood up and let out a small sigh, walking over to the bag she had brought along with her.

Vex made her way over to the mirror as she held up two dresses. One was black and the other was red. Holding them up against her body one by one, Vex weighed her options.

"I don't look that good in a black dress to begin with," she mumbled," not with this hair color at least."

Vex threw both dresses onto the queen-sized bed and took her hair out of it's high bun. Ruffling her hair, she walked over to her bag again. Pulling out her makeup and hair supplies, she smiled.

"You never know when you have to attend a party or not," she shrugged, walking back over to the mirror.

As she curled her hair, Vex heard someone knocking on the door rather hardly. "You've got six minutes hot stuff!" Tony shouted.

Vex rolled her eyes and continued to do her hair. When she was done, she quickly did her makeup and glanced up at the clock.

"Three minutes," she muttered. "Three minutes to throw on this damn dress and these damn heels."

Vex slipped on her dress, careful not to damage it, and zipped it up. Picking between her two pairs of heels, she chose the nude-colored ones. Hearing the sound of people chatting made her groan and she rushed out of the door.

"My earrings," she gasped, running back into her room before anyone could see her. Once she had put the earrings on, she closed the door behind her and walked down the stairs.

"Greetings Lady Vex," Thor greeted from the top of the stairs. He held his drink out to her and smiled.

Vex grinned as she set him a wave. "Look at that, you look normal," she joked, turning around mid-step so that she could see him.

Thor chuckled as he walked away. Vex turned around and ran into someone's chest. She let out a small 'ow' since the person's chest was hard and rubbed her head.

"You look like an actual person," she commented, looking him up and down.

He frowned, unsure of how to reply. "Uh...thanks," he said. "You look-"

"Hey hot stuff!" Tony interrupted, cutting in between the two as he looked Vex up and down.

Steve's jaw clenched and he rolled his eyes. "Hello Anthony," Vex greeted politely, giving him a small smile.

"Was I interrupting something?" Tony asked innocently, looking in between the two.

'Mr. Rogers here was just about to compliment me I believe," Vex said, her gaze landing on Steve, "and I would actually like to hear what he has to say."

"Go on Capsicle, tell her she looks hot," Tony snickered. "You can't do it can you?"

"If it's not too much to ask, could you go get me a drink?" Vex asked, noticing the tension between the two.

Steve gave her a small nod and she sent him back a smile. Vex turned her attention to Tony and narrowed her eyes. Reaching forward, Vex slapped Tony on the side of his head, causing him to let out a loud hiss of pain.

"What the hell was that for?" He questioned, rubbing the spot.

"For being rude," Vex replied calmly. "Didn't your mother ever teach you good manners?"

Before Tony could respond, another man came forward. "You must be the famous Vex the Cap keeps telling me about," he said.

Vex raised an eyebrow as the three turned to see Steve. His face turned red and he slid down until he was no longer visible.

"I guess I am," Vex shrugged, shaking his hand. "Might I ask who you are?"

"I'm Sam Wilson," he greeted, giving her a small smile.

"I'm James Rhodes, nice to meet you ma'am," another man greeted, shaking Vex's hands as soon as she released Sam's.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Rhodes, I am-"

"Oh we know who you are sweetheart," James grinned, "Cap talks about you-"

"I got your drink," Steve interrupted quickly. Vex turned around and ran straight into his chest, again.

"Oh, well thank you 'Mr.-"

"Steve, just call me Steve ma'am," he cut her off.

"If I call you Steve, you have to call me Vex," she shot back, smirking when she saw his expression.

"Ma'am, technically, I'm about ninety years old. Calling me Mr. only makes me feel worst," he told her honestly.

Vex gave him a knowing look and finally nodded. "Alright Steven," she shrugged, sipping her drink.

She made a face as she choked on her drink. "Steve...what in the world is this?" She asked.

"It's a Shirley Temple," he answered quickly, concerned.

"This taste like pure soda. They didn't have anything stronger than this at the bar?" Vex asked, pursing her lips.

Steve stuttered as he looked between her and the drink. "I-I just assumed that you'd want something that wasn't strong."

"Why because I wear heels and makeup?" She questioned sarcastically.

Sam, James, and Tony made "ooh" sounds behind them and Steve sighed, looking down.

"Do not judge a book by its cover," Vex grinned, shaking the drink in front of him.

"Here, you can have my drink," Sam interrupted. "It's a bit too hard for me."

Vex took it, giving him a small thank you, and took a swig of the drink, taking it down easily. She smiled as she took in the shocked stared she received.

"Way better than a Shirley Temple."