8.Purple Eyes and Matching Sweaters

"Nice of you to join the team."

Before Vex could respond to Tony, Steve cut her off. "She's not joining the team."

"Then what the hell is she doing here, I thought she was-"

"She's going to help us, that's it," Steve cut Natasha off, glaring at her.

Natasha rolled her eyes and sent Vex a look before she went to the front of the quinjet.

"Yeah, it feels great helping people. Thanks for inviting me," Vex mumbled sarcastically, walking past Steve.

He looked at her with sympathy as she sat down by herself and began to play with her hands.

"You have interesting abilities Lady Vex," Thor stated, sitting down next to her. "May I ask where you received them?"

"My mom I guess," Vex shrugged, letting purple magic dance on her fingers. "I've had them for as long as I can remember, well not exactly."

"Your mother had the same abilities?" Thor asked, raising an eyebrow in interest.

"I wouldn't know," Vex said, giving him a small smile. "My parents died when I was five and I was put into an orphanage."

Steve listened in, making a face. There conversation was quiet so he doubted anyone else heard but he was wrong. Clint was also listening in and he felt slightly bad for the girl.

"When did you find out about your abilities?" Steve asked, joining the conversation.

Vex looked up at him with a hard stare. Steve backed away slightly and she let out a sigh, her state softening.

"I had been in the orphanage for almost four years, I didn't talk to anyone and I didn't have any friends, I liked it that way," Vex began. "I used to get teased a lot and one day, the girls thought it would be fun to jump me."

Thor frowned. "Lady Vex, if you do not wish to continue-"

"There was one girl who had started it," Vex cut him off, her tone the same. "I just wished she could feel how bad I felt. Then, she just fell to the floor after I touched her. She started screaming and crying and she just wouldn't stop."

"What happened after that?" Steve asked, sitting down next to her.

"They punished me and tried to help her. She eventually killed herself, I guess it was all too much for her, the nightmares wouldn't stop," Vex answered.

"The nightmares?" Thor questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Vex nodded. "It's warping their minds, molding it. I didn't know what I was doing back then so I didn't know how bad it was. The damage I had done to that girl wasn't fixable. So I ran away."

"You were so young though," Steve frowned, giving her a sympathetic look.

Vex offered a small smile. "I was almost nine, and yes it was hard. SHIELD had found out about me by then and it was pretty hard. It's not easy hiding from the world's largest agency when you're only eight years old," she said.

Steve raised an eyebrow as he looked over at her. "But they found you, eventually right?"

"You have absolutely no faith in me," Vex chuckled. "I was able to hide for about two years. A man had found me and raised me like his daughter. I told him about my situation and he trained me so that I could be prepared for anything."

"How'd you get away from SHIELD?" Thor asked, trying to keep his voice low. It was hard though considering it naturally filled a room.

Vex, noticing his struggle, laughed slightly. "It was hard but my 'father', I guess I should call him, helped me escape," she said.

"Your real father?" Steve questioned, leaning in closer.

"No, the man who trained me," Vex denied, shaking her head as she smiled slightly. "I just told you, my parents are dead."

"Who's the man that trained you?" Steve asked. "What's his name?"

"You sure do ask a lot of questions Mr. Rogers," Vex grinned, her French accent think. "But, unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to answer every single one of them. Unless..."

"I am not going to kiss you," Steve told her, standing up.

"Come on Stevie, just a little peck, see how it works out," Tony added, only just now joining the conversation. "I think you guys would make beautiful blue-eyed babies."

Vex laughed while Steve glared at Stark, obviously not in the mood.

"Stay out of this Stark," Steve warned, sending him an annoyed look.

Tony put his hands up in mock surrender and continued to type on his computer.

"Do you have a suit?" Tony asked, turning his attention to Vex.

"No. I don't want a suit," Vex replied smoothly. "I am comfortable with what I am wearing."

Tony looked down at her choice of clothing. It was different than her usual style except she still had on her damn black, knee-high boots.

She had on a black, oversized sweater and socks that went up to her thighs, leaving only a bit of skin exposed. Her hair fell down her back in natural soft curls and she had no makeup on.

"That's what you're wearing?" Tony questioned sarcastically. "You're going to freeze to death. I don't think you understand how cold Sokovia is."

"I have an immunity to the cold," Vex replied. "Plus I have on a shirt under here."

"Oh of course you do!" Tony exclaimed, his tone laced with sarcasm.

"Is he always this sarcastic?" Vex asked, turning to look at Steve.

Steve sighed as he looked over to Tony. He looked back over to Vex and nodded. "Sadly, yes," he admitted.

"You'll get used to it," Bruce said, standing next to her. He looked at her sweater and then looked at his own, grinning.

"Hey look, we're matching!" Bruce exclaimed, smiling widely at Vex.

She made a face while Steve laughed, amused. "That is not funny. One of us is going to have to change," she stated, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I look hotter," Bruce countered.

"I second that," Tony said. "Not really but I think you get the gif purple eyes."

I gave you a little(large) insight on Vex's life when she was younger.

I know some books wait until like the 30th chapter or so but I said why not.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Oh and btw, I already have the ending scene done and not only is it emotional, there's definitely going to be a sequel.