Chapter 9- Progress (Edited)

Mikoto's P.O.V (surprise!)

I watched Akira as she laughed with Yata. Her smile usually lit up her face, not this time. Something was wrong, has been since she woke up. When we asked her what happened a distant look entered her eyes and she simply laughed it off, saying she couldn't remember. She was lying. Izumo thought so too.

We've never seen her fight, so it was no surprise she couldn't handle herself, however Akira didn't seem like the gentle flower we all made her out to be. I want to know more about this girl. I want to know why she seems so scared and, as insane as it sounds, protect her from her fears. There was just something about her strong appearance, her confident smile and the guarded way she carries herself, that had caught my attention.

I sighed. I'm just overthinking this. Right?

Akira's P.O.V

Yata was telling a story. I laughed with the others, only half listening. Everywhere I looked, I saw them. The eyes of the helpless people as they begged for me to stop. I heard their screams in the roar of a car engine, in the light breeze as it shook the trees, in a birds caw, even in gentle laughter. I'm scared. I'm scared of myself. Of what I might do. Of who I might hurt, or worse... kill. I don't know what to do anymore. I know that I might be exaggerating, but I just can't get it out of my mind.

It didn't help that Mikoto was staring at me, again. My eyes twitched slightly. He was seriously just standing at the bar, staring. It would be creepy, if he wasn't attractive. Actually I take that back. Its still creepy. My hoodie was on the couch, laying forgotten, without a purpose. I stopped wearing it after waking up. It didn't seem necessary to hide my appearance, the colorless king already found me and I can't think of anything else to hide from. Well, except my problems, but I'm doing a horrible job so far.

"Akira?" Thrown out of my thoughts by Yata's voice, I looked up. The skaters brows were pulled up in concern and I realized he had been calling me for awhile. "You okay? You've been spacing out a lot..." he trailed off. I nodded and smiled. He didn't believe me. No one did. I said I couldn't remember what happened to me. I lied. I know they know it. They know I know they know it. And they haven't done anything. Guilt clawed at my back.

I wanted to tell them everything, I really did. But that would give away to much and I don't want to burden them like that. So I put on my brightest smile, I laugh, and I cry on the inside. I hide away and try to forget, but it doesn't work. It never does, it never will.

Giving the group another 'smile', I explained that I needed some fresh air and walked out of the bar. I stared at my feet, watching uninterestedly as they took me to an unknown destination. A scream split through the air and for a minute, panic spilled through my veins. I looked up rigidly, seeing a child, its face split into a smile as it swung happily on a swing. The child's laughter hung in the air and I could feel it begin choke me. I needed to get away.

I made my way through the park quickly, finding a lonesome bench at the end of the grassy field. The gray, winter sky darkened as night slowly fell upon the city. One by one, everyone left the park, everyone but me. I was alone, with nothing to distract me. Before I realized why, a tear slipped down my cheek and I shivered. It was so cold. My breath turned white in the chilly air. Why did I think this was a good idea? To just idly wander? I have no idea how to get back to the bar. The idea of being lost in the middle of the night... Somehow wasn't that frightening. A piece of me wanted to end it all. Another wanted to move on. I was stuck in the middle, floating in place.

I rubbed my arms in a vain attempt to warm up. Frosted grass crunched behind me and I spun around fearfully only to see a familiar red head. Mikoto raised an eye brow questioningly.