Chapter 30

Ember and Aurora recognized the dire need to stop the reformation. Pitch as one form would be much stronger than his two weaker embodiments.

"What do we do?" Em whisper-shrieked. She hadn't a clue how do deal with this situation--perhaps her twin read something in all of her many books.

"Why are you asking me?" Auri whisper-yelled back. "Don't you have any ideas yourself?"

At this, Ember looked around frantically. The landscape was similar to the one they had left, but the strong scent of seawater told it was different. Woods surrounded her left and another cave, not unlike the twin's meeting place, was stood on the right. What would be able to stop your worst nightmare from reforming more powerful? She chose the closest thing--a rock. Ember dashed forward to pick it up, barely even glancing at confirmation from Aurora, before chucking it straight at the solidifying shadows.

At first, it was a small form; Em didn't even want to take it seriously. But a hand shot out to catch the rock, and the twins gulped.

The creature is just kneeling, Em recognized. Auri subtly nodded in agreement. Slowly--menacingly--Pitch began to rise to his full height. Over six-and-a-half feet tall, the form was close to a foot taller than both girls. Pitch's face showed angular features and his body were as if skin had been laid over bones. The contrast between the pale as death composition and deep red eyes caused a shiver to race down the twin's backs.

This was malevolence at its finest. Pitch was the literal manifestation of all things evil, all things feared. The rock in his hand melted into blood that dripped off to the blackened ground.

A dark chuckle emanated from the figure as he lurched forward, giving slow, deliberate claps. "I must admire your will to try."

Ember heard Aurora gasp as she herself whispered, "It's too late."

"Why are you fighting us still?" Auri demanded, though nearly shrunk back when Pitch focused his blood-like eyes on her.

Em agreed. "Yeah, you're sent back in time, why are you still fighting us?"

"You don't have a clue about anything, do you? You twins are the only one by Máni who can stop me!" A crazed look came about his face, until he took a deep breath. Pitch's eyes flashed a brighter red, with an almost taunting smile upon his face. "It doesn't make sense though, since you're both so helpless! Just like your parents."

Ember stopped breathing momentarily. How had she forgotten that her parents were here too? "What'd you do to them?" She yelled at the looming figure. She was burning mad--she didn't even notice her hands catch fire. Aurora unknowingly froze the fire when she grabbed the red haired girl's hand to run towards the forest; apparently she had heard something that the rage filled one had not.

There, they ran towards the sound until the twins' parents and into view. Standing by a cliff, the whole scene reeked bad vibes. Both parents had their eyes open, and that alone broke both girls' hearts. The natural swirl of gold and silver had stilled, the parent's mouths open in a silent scream. They reached out their hands just as Pitch's chuckle reverberated through Ember and Aurora's minds, an unseen form knocking their mom and dad backwards

Free falling off the cliff.

Ember tried to scream, but everything was stuck in her tightening throat. When both girls reached the edge mere seconds later, they looked to see the coast line below--much too far of a drop for anyone to survive.

Before they knew it, they were back in the clearing. Pitch was just standing there, as if waiting to relish in their distraught reactions.

"You crossed the line, Pitch!" Aurora shouted as she forcefully shoved a hand towards him. A thick icicle that was sharpened to a deadly point flew towards him and impaled his side. Auri looked to be surprised that she hit her target, but it quickly faded as Pitch simply yanked it out, no blood falling, but haunting shadows.

"You will learn, child!" Pitch cursed. Aurora crumbled to the ground, crying out in pain and agony.

Ember tried to rush forward, calling her twin's name, but her limbs wouldn't move. She turned her head towards Pitch, trying to drown out the second hand torture. He looked so satisfied, so sated, and it sickened her. The air around began to grow warm. Her eyes boiled from hazel into fire.

"You hurt my best friend," Em flung an arm to light the area to the right of Pitch on fire. "You killed my parents," a similar motion provided the left area next to him to burn. Pitch was shocked that she was even able to move, he had had a strong hold of the fear in her. "And you dare to try something on my twin, too?" The flames sizzled brighter, licking ever closer to the dark body in front of her. She was closing in on him, the confidence normally reflected in his eyes waning, when her twin called out once again. "Release her now!"

"Can't you see you won't win?" He tried to threaten, Pitch tried to fight her back by doubt. Em didn't flinch as she leaned back towards her twin.

"Aurora?" All together, the noises stopped. The twin stood to her feet, and when her blue eyes opened, they solidified to ice. It wasn't that neither twin was afraid, no. But together, they had more than enough strength to build an army. Both of Auri's hands were pushed towards the scene in front of her and all of the fire slowly crystallized, until the top flames pointed in at Pitch's neck. A few more inches and his head was gone.

"What was that about learning?" She mocked.

Both girls stood strong. Pitch was now at their mercy. He closed his eyes as if to collect himself.

"Finish him," Em said dryly.

Auri smirked. "With pleasure, dear sister." Just a she was about to move, Pitch exploded.

The twins could feel the weight of the explosion, as if every fear, every scarred night had suddenly rested on their shoulders and bogged then down in every way. In a split second, everything felt heavy, physical, emotional, spiritual. The force knocked both backwards, landing hard on the ground. Ember barely even had time to register what had happened as Pitch's last resort before she took a shaky breath and watched the lights turn as black as fear himself.