Chapter 23

Aurora mentally groaned. After she had called their meeting that morning, she conjured up at least 100 possible ways it could go wrong. These ranged from a teacher discovering their location and contacting her 'mother', to the entire school falling to rubble around them.

She did not expect this.

"No!" Ember was saying. "There is absolutely no way that time travel is cooler than fire powers."

"Technically it is. Fire is hot," Phoenix retorted.

Ember gritted her teeth. "Fire powers can save people in cold nights and if someone needs to cook food without firewood."

"That's cute! I could travel back in time and stop the titanic from sinking."

"No you couldn't!" The red haired girl persisted. "It's a fixed point in time."

"Who are you? The Doctor?" Phoenix sneered.

"No, but I know it would cause a time paradox!"

"But-"

"Shut up! Both of you!" Aurora shouted, halting their conversation.

All three of them were sitting on the grass behind the library, trying to be inconspicuous (and failing). They were on the edge of the woods though, meaning the place was rarely visited. An observer might have assumed they were a cult; their circle, solemn expressions, and location practically screamed it.

"We need to discuss the bathroom this morning, not bicker over irrelevant powers," Aurora stated, trying to get everyone back on track.

Phoenix sighed and leaned backwards until his back hit the ground. "Fine. But if you brought me out here with no lunch just to talk about what time of month it is, if you know what I mean, then-"

Aurora rolled her eyes. "Once again, shut up. This is important." 

Phoenix didn't reply, choosing to instead toss the pocket watch he had in the hallway again and again.

Ember looked down, then met Aurora's eyes. "The first order of business should be before that, though. You said something happened last night?"

"Yes. Apparently the wolves' prediction was correct. Last night I froze everything in my room. As in I covered it all in ice. And the same thing happened in the bathroom this morning."

Phoenix gave a short laugh, then glanced at Aurora. His grin faded. "Wait you're serious?" She nodded.

"Well I guess I should come clean too then." Ember said.

"Let me guess," Phoenix cut in sarcastically. "You have fire powers."

The red haired girl's eyes widenen. "You knew?"

"I was right?! Wow," he said, putting his hands out in a 'hold everything' gesture. "Let me savor this moment." The girls smacked him in sync. He glared at them, then went back to tossing his watch.

Aurora smoothed her sweater before speaking. "We just need to-" Flip. "Maybe we should-" FLIP. "We could just have to-" He caught it again and her resolve snapped. "Ugh! Will you please stop flipping that?!"

Phoenix jumped. "Wha- oh, yeah sure." He grasped the pocket watch in one hand, holding it as if it were a lifeline. "Sorry."

Auri breathed deeply and her two companions stared at her, shocked. The whole ordeal was affecting her more deeply than they realized. The group lapsed into silence and a brisk wind rustled the nearby trees.

"What even is that?" Ember asked Phoenix after a minute.

Phoenix turned the object over in his hands, contemplating his next words. "It's sort of a... family heirloom from a loooong time ago. I guess I'm pretty attached to it."