Chapter 5

Aurora quietly opened the front door to the house and entered, her footsteps seeming loud on the wooden floor. The kitchen showed no sign of her mother. She wasn't sure if she felt relieved at that observation. Aurora had already finished her homework in detention, so she hung her backpack in its usual place by the door before proceeding.

Aurora found her mother perched on their white lounge chair in the living room, waiting for her to pass the threshold. She stood upon Aurora's arrival. Aurora flinched at her mother's hard glare, but continued facing her. Weakness was not tolerated in that house.

"I received a call from school today," she began icily. "You were in a fight and received detention."

"Yes, but-"

Her mother's eyes flashed with anger. She grabbed Aurora's wrist in an iron grip and yanked the girl closer. "Did you just interrupt me?" she hissed.

"No, ma'am."

Her hand tightened on Aurora's wrist as she continued. "It was with that Ember Viral. Was she your friend? What did I tell you about love? It. Is. Weakness! All emotions are derived from love; anger, sadness, jealously, regret! How could you have forgotten that?!"

By then Aurora's hand was completely numb, a fact that slightly sickened her. "I didn't forget, Mother. We weren't friends. She tripped me and-"

"I will not have excuses in this house!" her mother exclaimed, stalking down the hallway with Aurora in tow. When they reached Aurora's room, her mother pushed her inside. "Further infractions will destroy any chance of food you have for the next week!" The door shut and locked with a click.

Aurora touched the newly formed dark purple bruises on her wrist and winced. Her mother had never held her arm that tight before. Of course, the woman had never been that angry before. Aurora sat on her bed and reviewed what happened once again, hoping to shed a small light on the reason why her mother became so livid.

She didn't seem mad at the detention, Aurora realized. It was almost as if Mother was angrier at the thought of me being friends with Ember. She instantly decided not to associate herself with the red-haired girl again. She only seemed to cause trouble.

Auri wasn't quite sure why Ember infuriated her so much. It usually took no effort to block out the annoyances in her life, but Ember seemed to dissolve the walls between Aurora and her feelings in seconds. Aurora supposed it had something to do with the unsettling and completely unexplainable connection between them.

The facade of emotionlessness Aurora wore everyday began to crack as she laid down. She blamed herself for the whole ordeal. I shouldn't have given into anger. She thought guiltily. Why am I so stupid?

Aurora spent the remainder of the afternoon criticizing herself for getting detention. She rebuilt the walls surrounding her mind to be twice as strong and vowed never to let emotion slip out again.

The day eventually dwindled into nighttime. Aurora changed into pajamas (careful to avoid touching her wrist). Her lamp was clicked off and she settled into bed. Love is weakness. Aurora reminded herself as her eyelids drifted shut.

She ignored the strange stirring Ember gave her. She ignored the pain from her arm. She ignored the single tear that slid down her cheek.