Chapter 27

To say Charlotte was paranoid that night would be the understatement of the century.

Post-meeting, her suspicions were raised drastically. Aurora wasn't quite sure how she kept her stamina up during the lecture, as it seemed to drone on for at least an hour with rapid gesturing and withering glares. Then (after a foul warning not to move and a locked door) that half of Pitch transferred her frustrations onto the house.

Viscously scrubbing and sterilizing, Charlotte began deep cleaning the entire house. The white-haired girl was surprised. Her 'mother' never cleaned like this in her life! It was always Auri's job to keep up with the housework. Why was this suddenly happening? Not that it wasn't nice not to constantly be forced to work, but Aurora knew better.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The white-haired girl supposed there had to be an ulterior motive, she just hadn't found it yet. She glanced at her small clock. Still a couple hours before I have to meet Em. Settle down and wait.

Of course it was the minute Auri stood to leave when Charlotte adjusted her position.

Have you heard of the new craze in psycho land? It's night gardening. NIGHT. FREAKING. GARDENING. Armed with a high-powered flashlight, Charlotte began journeying around the yard, pruning and nitpicking the entire garden. At strategic intervals, she would examine the house, swinging the blinding light over the entire length of it.

She's keeping me in. Aurora realized with a start. I'm trapped. Her heart began to beat faster as reality set into place. She was going to be late.

Sighing, Auri settled to the sill of her window and began studying the stranger outside. It would take a while, but she would escape the house. There was no doubt about that.

~

Two incredibly boring hours later and she had finally broken out. She leaped over a fallen tree in the forest and kept racing. Ember was the only thing on her mind. Not even her parents, the ones who, mind you, she had never actually met with willingly, could break into her concentration.

For a non-runner it was surprising how quick she was. Her heart seemed to beat in pace with her legs. For a moment, the blurred inky-green forest slowed down and joined with Aurora. They moved as one. Was this her parent's blood she was channelling? She had no idea and decided to simply put the thought out of her head.

In no time she rounded the final bend and sprinted up to the cave, panting but without sweat. The frigid air seemed to zap any and all perspiration from the area.

"Em!" She gasped out. The red head emerged from the cave. "Sorry...late...Charlotte...watch..."

"It's fine, Auri! Mom and Dad are here."

The two in question simultaneously stepped from the shadows. "We really need to talk," their mother said quietly, yet with a firmness that commanded obedience. All four made their way back inside of the cave.

"So," the woman began after they were settled. "Due to the fact this meeting is even in session, we assume your birthdays were...more exciting than usual, correct?"

Aurora's icy blue eyes locked onto her sister's hazel ones.

"You could say that!" Ember laughed.

Aurora, though, was less keen to automatically fall into the routine. "How did you know about our powers?" She questioned, her tone tinged with frustration. "And if you knew what was going to happen to us, why didn't you give us a clue?"

"The moon told us you were special," the white-haired woman said, laying her surprisingly soft hands on the twins. "He told us your birthday would be the final transition."

This time it was the man who spoke. "Aurora, we only found you recently after ten years. Keeping your powers from you was one of the most difficult things we've ever done, but it was necessary."

"If we had told you the truth, would you not have simply rushed to return to your 'normal' lives?" their mother spoke, wrapping up her husband's thought. This was semi-eerie to Auri, but she was well aware of the closeness her and Ember shared. Why wouldn't their parents have the same bond?

"So girls," continued their mother, "let's see your powers!"

No hesitation showed in Ember as she lit her palm aflame, bathing her face in an orange glow. After a moment of silent contemplation, Aurora traced a circle on the cavern floor with her finger. Ice sprung to her fingertip and quickly froze the area. Both parents looked onto the scene in front of them with pride in their eyes.

"Fire," the man spoke, finished by his wife's, "and ice."

Aurora raised her eyebrows. "Yes. Ice and fire. So this is going to help us defeat Pitch, how?"

"Um..." Was their untied reply. "We're not entirely sure.

"What? What do you mean you don't know?! You said the moon had a plan for us." Ember's temper began to break through her initial excitement.

"Máni's plan is only revealed when the time is right," the woman calmly stated. "We have no knowledge of it."

Em's eyebrows furrowed. "But, but you said-"

-Snap.-

Silence fell. (A/N: BUT THE QUESTION WASNT ASKED)

Nighttime outside of the cave seemed to grow even more foreboding as creaks and groans brought the forest to life. The crystal embedded walls began to flicker, highlighting both twins' amplified emotions. The small group was beginning to question their reasons for meeting. Their eyes shifted nervously, on alert.

A series of crashes sounded from above, moving steadily towards the mouth, until a bone-shuddering smash reverberated somewhere nearby. A second passed before anyone moved.

"What was that?" Ember whispered.

Her twin stood. "I don't think we want to find out. We need to leave."

Slightly sullen, Ember nodded. Then her eyes gained a hopeful look. "Can you meet us back here tomorrow, around lunchtime?"

"Of course, Ember," their mother replied immediately.

Ember grinned. Then, on impulse, she wrapped her parents in an iron grip. "I love you," Auri heard her sister whisper, sounding close to tears. They embraced her wholeheartedly, and though they never said it, it was evident that statement meant the world to them.

Ember eventually detangled herself and the twins were on their way.

~

"But-"

"No buts!" Aurora exclaimed. "If we are to meet with our parents and be back before the allotted time, we do not have time for food. You know this. Please quit complaining."

The red head sighed and nudged a small rock from the commons area at their school. The entire courtyard was filled with eating teenagers milling around, sitting, talking with their friends. Under the cover of a large crowd was how they intended to escape. The twins waited for the most opportune time before making their exit.

What both failed to notice as they merged themselves with the tree line, however, was a set of eyes following their every move. The person ran a hand through his snowy white hair and watched the forest through determined eyes.

Not a soul witnessed Phoenix Romanov rise from his seat.