Chapter 14

Ember gripped the flames of the necklace around her neck tighter. If she didn't focus on something, she was going to fall back asleep. It wasn't even 7 o'clock in the morning and she was secretly awake, on the ready to follow her dad to a meeting. It had to be pretty important for him to go to this, he hated business on Saturday mornings. Em heard the front door slam.

Now's the time, she thought. She exited her room and quickly made her way down to the front door. She was about to round the corner into the living room (where a straight shot at her exit was found) when she heard the door fly back open and bang the wall. Ember nearly fell on her face as she stumbled to a halt and retreated into the darkness of the bathroom next to her. She was afraid that the loud beating of her heart would give her away, but apparently her father was too preoccupied with getting whatever it was he needed; he stormed right past the open door to go to his room and back before leaving again. Let's try this once more, Ember told herself, taking a deep breath.

When she opened the door, she expected her dad to take his car. Her eyebrows rose in shock as she saw her father's retreating figure down sidewalk before he crossed the street. She scurried to follow after him, hiding behind various objects along the way, just in case he happened to look back.

Her dad walked into the woods. Ember wondered why he would be going into the forest; everything about his behavior was odd. Through the trees they went, and though she needed to focus at the matter at hand, Em couldn't help but let her attention drift back to previous events.

Why had the Bounty Hunter broken into their house? What was so special? Why had he or she still not taken a single thing? What did this person want with any of the victims? (Could you even call them victims, even if they still hadn't caused any actual harm to anyone?)

Ember ceased her advancement as she saw her father enter a clearing and approach a figure standing there, already waiting. She continued a quarter way around the circular opening--she could now watch the side of the two people as they met-- and sat down.

"Hello Richard," the person said, obviously a lady. She sounded anything but welcoming. Despite trying to be quiet and unnoticed, I gasped when she focused on her. It was Aurora!

No, wait. The face was older and much different. The bun on the lady's head was slightly smaller and off center, almost as if she had rushed to get here. Even from her observation area off in the patch of woods, Ember could tell this woman radiated strict and possibly even power over her father. This caused a tick in her face; her dad shouldn't be talked down to by anyone, much less this lady who was clearly related to the one person that caused Ember turmoil.

Suddenly, Ember felt a rock hit against her head. A sharp pain followed as a second made impact shortly after. What the...? she thought. She looked toward the direction the rocks had came and saw Aurora's face peaking through the leaves. Aurora waved, symbolizing she should go to the white haired girl.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned harshly.

"Same as you apparently," she replied, finding a sitting place. Ember looked back to her dad listening to their conversation.

"My dear Charlotte. You're looking as put together as ever," said Ember's father.

"That's a lie and even you know it," she snarled. "I'm becoming a mess because of your mistakes."

"I was following my parent." Ember watched as Aurora's eyes went slightly wider before zooming back to her view of the adults. They clearly weren't happy about whatever they were discussing.

Richard gave a dry laugh. "My mistakes? I believe it takes two to have a conversation, and your Aurora is not free of guilt. Also, I'd hardly call it my fault that they caught up."

"We cannot speak of them here!" Charlotte hissed. "It is bad to do so. We need only discuss the separation of the children."

Ember scoffed. Not only did this woman (incorrectly) call them children, she was trying to figure a way to separate them? She knew she shouldn't feel this way and that she didn't even know for certain it was a complete emotion, but Ember didn't want to have to leave Aurora. Maybe it was the stubbornness in her, not wanting to be told what to do. Yes, that's what she would blame it on.

Em turned and locked eyes with Aurora. "We can't let them do this," she said.

"I know. We need a counter-active plan. But first, why would they try and not let us be friends? What are they hiding?"

Though Aurora was the one to voice some concerns, Ember had been having the same ones. It felt as if their thinking and thought processes were in sync anytime they were near. The girls had been in their own minds and minor brainstorming for a while before they looked back to the scene below them.

The parents shook hands and departed quickly. Ut oh! Ember's mind shouted. She heard Aurora draw in a sharp breath and stand up, ready to bolt.

"Wait!" Ember called. "We need to talk further, before we get back to school. Tomorrow sometime."

"The cave we found, midnight." Before Em knew it, she was gone. She turned the direction of her house and started making her way to skirt around her dad and hopefully make it back before he did. Ember wished toward the sky that Aurora would be able to do the same.