Chapter 11

Aurora's hair shown like a beacon as the moonlight reflected off it. She avoided main roads, choosing not to stray from the edge of the forest. Her mother didn't leave the house at night (as far as she was aware), but Aurora was not prepared to take a chance. If simply talking to Ember resulted in punishment, what would this gain her?

The abundance of adrenaline filling Aurora's body faded away, allowing doubt to replace it. She silently cursed her improvised excursion. Running into the woods in the dead of night and attempting to rescue someone who hates her? Possibly the worst decision she could have made.

The sun was nearing the horizon when Aurora arrived at her house. She lingered in the woods for a moment, savoring the last second of freedom, before carefully climbing in her bedroom window. She collapsed onto her bed. A cool breeze swept through the room, but Auri was asleep before she could shut the window.

Two howls split the dawning air.

~

The woman's long fingernails holding the living room curtains open pulled away, allowing them to fall into place. She growled, low and dark. My plan is failing, all because that idiot can't keep his side of the agreement! Her breath hissed through her teeth as she stalked silently down the hallway.

Squeaking doors were one of her pet peeves, meaning every hinge in the house were freshly lubricated. Aurora's door was no exception.

Aurora's mother observed the sleeping girl with a sly smile. "Soon," she whispered. "All will happen soon."

~

Third period refused to pass. The minute hand on the wall clock seemed to be stuck. It was as if time was digging it's heels into the dirt and refusing to move, stranding Aurora in a room full of students she resented.

Including Ember, who she resented more.

Class took a wrong turn a little over halfway through. Her teacher Mr. Finch (a laid back history fanatic, well into his 30's) made the mistake of using the restroom. The second the door clicked shut, the room transformed from silent totally-not-note-passing students into a bee-hive of teenagers rushing around to have conversations.

There was exactly one person working on the assigned worksheet. Aurora. The majority of teenagers had gathered in the center of the room, though there were a few smaller clumps around them. They got down to the matter on everyone's mind.

"So," began a boy. "What has our Bounty Hunter been up to?"

A plethora of replies immediately filled the air. The level of sound rose from 3 to 10 in seconds.

"Quiet!" Another exclaimed. "There are other classes in this building." A few people snickered at the boy, but they settled down nonetheless.

"There's been another sighting."

Aurora felt the familiar chill set into her bones. The type she gained from a wonderfully frigid and windy day. The type she now resented. She looked up. Ember.

Ember continued. "Same circumstances, just two cities from here. Whoever it is, they're definitely getting closer."

The room was silent for a beat. Then someone yelled, "Cool!"

Aurora rolled her eyes. Why is this mysterious person gaining so much publicity?

She attempted to block out the theories swirling around the air as Mr. Finch reentered quietly. He scanned the room for a second, eyes full of mirth, until his gaze landed on Aurora. He winked at her. Then he walked slowly to the front, stood at the head and cleared his throat. Every student froze, then scrambled for their seat.

"Relax!" He called out, laughing. "I know what you were discussing, and I recognize it as a popular current event. I'll tell you what. Why don't we have a class debate about the Bounty Hunter?"

Less than a minute later everyone was seated in a circle. Mr. Finch stood in the center.

"The rules are simple. Discuss your opinion on the Hunter. Is he- or she- good? Bad? Nonexistent? Everyone understand? Good."

And so the battle commenced. People spoke back and forth, pushing out their ideas only for them to be overturned. Aurora sat back in her chair, uninterested. She never liked involving herself in group activities.

That was, until Ember joined in.

"I think they're actually a nice person, whoever they are. Maybe the police have it all wrong. Maybe they are looking for something precious to them. Like their true love!"

Aurora snorted.

Ember narrowed her eyes at the white-haired girl. "Do you have something to add?"

"This Hunter has no justification for his or her actions. They warp the minds of those around them to no end. It's barbaric."

Ember's glare hardened. "It could have been for-"

"What?" Aurora laughed. "True love? Miss Viral this is the real world, somewhere you apparently haven't been to yet. Let me sum this up for you: true love doesn't exist. Never has, never will. Let it go."

The room was silent as the two girls locked into a stare down.

The bell rang.

~

Auri knew the lunch room as a boisterous and potentially hostile place. However, it was impossible to tell if the description fit that specific day, as she was absent from the cafeteria. Her mother didn't leave a lunch box that morning.

By this time in her life, Aurora was used to the lack of meals. Her mentality told her that she was responsible for the punishment and Aurora knew this to be particularly true that day. Even though she knew her mother was oblivious of the previous night's activities, Auri wasn't going to question her judgement. She felt the punishment was well deserved. So, like every time Aurora found herself without food, she visited the library.

The library was Aurora's favorite place. Secluded, quiet. Books almost filled the void in her stomach. Almost.

"I'm so glad it's friday!" Someone exclaimed near the entrance. She was shushed by the librarian. "What are you guys doing over the weekend?" She asked in a slightly lower voice.

Aurora stiffened as another girl replied. "I'm not sure. I think my Dad has something planned."

Ember Viral, a person who (as far as Aurora knew) had never set foot in the library, rounded the corner. Three other girls joined her. They pondered the selections with dazed eyes as they continued talking. Polished fingernails dug into spines of unfortunate books and ripped them from shelves only to shove them back a second later.

Aurora pitied the books.

Ember's friends wandered deeper into the shelves (still jabbering away), but the red haired girl lingered behind. The four feet dividing both girls seemed to electrify. Auri pushed herself farther back into the cushioned chair and trained her eyes on the page in front of her.

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" Ember snapped the book she was holding shut. "Do you know what that's from? Romeo and Juliet, the greatest love story of all time. True love."

Aurora rolled her eyes behind her book. "I hate to break it to you, but that's all it is. A story. The only place true love can exist."

Ember let out a growl of frustration and smacked the book from her hands. "Why are you so against love?"

"Love is weakness." Aurora replied. "The world is better off without it."

She picked up her book, returned it to the shelf, and left Ember standing alone.