Sixteen - Chemical Kids and Mechanical Brides

Josh: im sorry

Josh: okay no im not fuck you

Josh: my parents wont speak to me.

Josh: im grounded for a year

Josh: you left me alone. in hospital. after i overdosed.

Josh: i might just do it again.

Josh: im not joking. i can do it again.

Josh: i just miss you so much

I received an abundance of texts from Josh in the days after I ran from him. It was the first day of my new school, and I was anxiously sat in the front seat of my mothers car, watching the trees pass by the window. For an 18 minute drive, it sure felt like an eternity.
"September, honey, don't pick the seat, you'll ruin it." My mother ushered, taking a hand from the steering wheel to swat at my fingers. "I know it's your first day back at school, but I'm sure everyone will love you."
"Mom, my only friend is two years younger than me."
"What about that Ramsay boy from across the road? I thought you were good friends with him, no?"
"Long story, mom..." I sighed, returning my gaze to the foliage outside, my fingernails plucking at the leather seat beneath my knees.
I went straight to Matt's house that day. I didn't explain much, but I told Matt that I never wanted to see Josh again. He hugged me as best as he could seeing as he is around a foot shorter than me, and we stayed entwined that way until we fell asleep together. His mom woke us up by asking if we wanted snacks, and was shocked to find us that way.
She's been glaring at me ever since.
We arrived all too quickly at the gates to Magee secondary school, and I climbed from the car tentatively, not all too enthusiastic about being in the same school as Josh.
You: matty matt matt where are u? idfk where im going
Matt: oml im in the quad outside the assembly hall. i can see u smh
I noticed him across the asphalt, grinning at me from a small group of boys who were all his height. I walked over to them swiftly, and they all froze at my presence, bar Matt and one other boy, who had long, blonde hair.
"Hey Matt!" I cheered, hugging him quickly.
"Are... are you September?" one of the boys asked, looking at me as if to check whether or not I was a hologram.
"Yes, I am in fact September" I laughed, sitting down on a nearby bench.
"Oh my! You're really real!" Yelled the kid with the long hair, bowing low to the ground. "Kevvy, at your service!"
"Don't be a dork, Kevvy." Matt laughed, shoving him slightly. He toppled over, landing on his butt on the floor.
"I'm not a dork" he protested, standing up and dusting himself off.
"You so are" I laughed along.
The bell went for homeroom, and Matt and his friends all ran off, leaving me stood alone, not knowing where I'm supposed to go.
I spotted Josh across the asphalt.
He glared at me.
I wandered into the first classroom I found, and walked over to the teacher's desk.
"Yes miss? She asked, messing with papers on her desk.
"I, uh, I'm new here, and I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going. My name is Caroline Wilson?" I said, the end falling into a question. It had been over a month since I had used the name Caroline.
"Ah, yes. You're supposed to be in this homeroom, so it's a good thing you're here." She smiled, gesturing over to the back of the room.
"The only empty seat is beside Mr Ramsay, I'm afraid."
Of course it fucking is, I thought. It's just my luck.
I sat down besides Josh, and he looked at me in disgust.
"Are you even going to apologise?" He asked, shuffling his seat away slightly. What an ass.
"I don't see why I should have to. Everything I said was true, and I did nothing wrong." I stated, crossing my arms in front of me and looking in the opposite direction from Josh.
"Did nothing wrong?" He laughed, "you left me in a freaking hospital on my own while I was recovering from a heroin overdose. I had to face my parents alone."
"Woah, mind, you're almost yelling. Don't want everyone to hear about your failures."
"Why are you being such a goddamn bitch, 'tember?" He asked, banging his fist on the table.
"Because you're an ass, Ramsay. And I thought I was fucking falling for you."
I stuck my hand in the air, calling for the attention of the teacher.
"Miss, could I please use the bathroom?" I asked, before being dismissed. I rushed to leave the room as fast as I could manage.
I turned the corner and ran into the janitors closet, tucking my head into my knees.
The door creaked open, and I didn't even look up to see who it was. Because I fucking knew. I'd recognise that vinegar smell anywhere. Josh.
And the first fucking thing he did when he got into the closet with me?
Start smoking his goddamn heroin.
"That's going to kill you. You never learn, do you?"
"Maybe I'll be glad if it does."
"That is exactly why I ran away."
"Because I said the truth? Face it, 'tember, you ran because you couldn't face the truth. You don't want to deal with me."
"No, I ran because you didn't even seen to want to get past this. You seem like you wanna stay addicted to this crap. What the fuck is so good about it anyway?" I ranted, squaring up close to him now.
"Why don't you fucking try it and see for yourself?" He asked, shoving the pen shell into my hand.
I was disgusted by the idea of drugs. Repulsed. I had been taught my entire life that they were bad, awful things, evil, and mess with you terribly. I was taught to stay away from it all, to never fall into that crowd.
I forgot all that I had been taught when I pressed the pen shell to my lips, and inhaled.