Four - 1713 Acadia Road

"Do you like the house, hunny?" My mom asked, unpacking some of the furniture from the moving truck before leaning in and whispering in my ear excitedly,
"You get the basment!"

This filled me with glee. I had often expressed my want for a basement bedroom, but my parents had always said that mansions dont have basements, ect ect.

Now I finally got it.

It didn't take me long to take all of my boxes into my new room, and seeing as the basement was quite large, I told the moving guys to shove the furniture in the middle of the room, and that I'd move it all later.

It was the evening of the move, and we were sat in our new front garden, my parents sipping beer from the glass bottles, and me pouring Shasta cola into a plastic cup before downing it in one breath.

We had made a bonfire out of a pile of wood that the previous inhabitants had left in the back yard, and my dad had sent me around to several of the neighbours houses to see if they wanted to sit around it with us.

The inhabitants of one particular house, 1712 across the road, had seemed particularly keen to join in. The mother had brought marshmallows and sticks for us to roast them on, and her two children, whose names I hadn't yet caught, seemed to be overjoyed by the occasion.

Her son sat down next to me suddenly, grabbing my bottle of Shasta and downing some straight from the source.

"Uhm, hi?" I asked, grabbing my cola back from his clutches.

"Sorry" he laughed, "I really love Shasta"

"Yeah, I figured..." I trailed off, hinting for him to tell me his name.

"Oh!" He exclaimed, grinning at me as he realised. "I'm Josh".

"I'm Ca- September" I decided. If I was starting afresh, I didn't want to be any way associated with who Caroline Wilson was.

"September. That's a nice name for a girl like you" he said, eyes obviously distracted by a location that was definitely not my face.

"Hey!" I slapped him, drawing his attention back to my eyes. "If you don't quit being a pervert, I'll take my damn Shasta somewhere else".

No sooner than I said that, than it began to rain.

"Look, Josh, I hate rain, so I'm gonna go inside. It was nice meeting you, I guess" I said hesitantly, standing up an grabbing my cola, screwing the lid back in place to ensure it wasn't diluted by the rainwater.

The others began to move inside just as I did, and I saw Josh ushered inside by his family.

He seemed like a douche, and I would be happy to never encounter him again.

-----
Aw man I love these chapters so much tbh
beckett