Five - Fresh Start

The next day began with feet thudding down the basement stairs, and a clumsy knock on my bedroom door. Groaning, I dragged myself out of bed and over to my door, presuming it would be my mom with my breakfast.

What I didn't expect when I opened the door, however, was the boy from last night to be stood there, holding my mobile phone in his hand.

"What on earth do you want?" I sighed, regretting not checking my appearance before opening the door. You've only just met this boy, you don't want to scare him off, regardless of how much of a douche he might.

"Oh! Uh, you left your phone on the grass yesterday. I didn't think you'd want it to be left outside in the rain, so I took it back to mine." he explained, handing it over to me.

"Okay, well, couldn't you have just shouted me?" I asked, attempting to unlock my phone but becoming dismayed at the fact that it had no battery life left.

"Oh, yeah... I guess I could've" he laughed, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "Anyway, I should be going. See you around, I guess..."

"September." I reminded him, smiling as I spoke the name. I would have to remember to ask my parents to call me that from now on. He turned with a grin and ran back up the stairs, and I heard as he said goodbye to my parents on the way out of the door.

After plugging in my phone, I jumped up the stairs as he had previously done, and walked into the living room. My parents were both sat there, watching some shitty tv program. I went into the kitchen and poured myself some cereal, before sitting on the sofa beside them.

"Mom, Dad?" I asked, eating some of my cereal before continuing. They both looked at me, their attention diverted from the tv. "Would it be okay if you called me September from now on?" I asked, my feet shuffling with anxiety. What if they thought I was stupid? Or even worse, what if they refused? I had already told Josh my name was September, I can't tell him I lied.

"Of course. If it's what you want, September, we'll do it" my dad smiled. I placed my cereal on the floor, and rushed over to hug them both.

"Thank you so much" I whispered, the grin on my face wider than any before. Here it was, my fresh start.