Chapter 17

•·.· Chapter 17 ·.·•

Was it too late to back out? It couldn't be. Agreeing to stay with Aubrey and her mom for an entire week was simply crazy. He hadn't been thinking. If he had, he wouldn't have even answered her damn phone. All because the ringing had started annoying him.

Travis didn't do the whole meet the parents crap. And it wasn't because he never wanted to, which he sure as hell didn't. He just never had to. The type of girls he usually hooked up with assured he never ran into that situation. There were no promises. No commitments. Only sex. Though there were a few that had gotten attached. He hated when that happened.

It had seemed at the time that he should have said yes. Aubrey's mom didn't seem bad or anything but that could change. She may have spoken to him but she hadn't seen him. She'd probably have an instant change of heart or worse - an instant heart attack when she saw who her daughter was going out with.

Aubrey had asked him again this morning if he was sure that he wanted to go with her and like all the other times she asked he said yes. He was an idiot. No doubt about it. He could have said no. He didn't have to meet the woman now. If it were up to him he wouldn't meet the woman period.

Is this what relationships did to people? He never had to think about anything so hard in his life.

"Are you listening? Travis?"

The papers scattered on the table in front of him slowly came into focus as he pulled himself out of his thoughts. He looked up. "What?"

"Are you okay? We could take a break if you want."

Travis shook his head. If he took a break now then they'd end up staying even longer. He didn't want to be around Hannah any more than he needed to.

"Are you sure? You've been spacing out a lot."

Travis gave her a blank stare. The girl irritated him. Every time she opened her mouth he got more irritated. He sat back and folded his arms.

Hannah sighed at the look he was giving her. When it became too much her eyes fell to the intricate and colorful tattoos running up the length of his arm.

She stared for a while then picked up her stack of papers and arranged them carefully in a neat pile. She looked up at him thoughtfully. "You didn't answer my question. Is everything alright with you?"

Travis pinned her with a cynical stare. He leaned forward and looked her straight in her eyes. "I don't know what kind of counseling bullshit you're trying to pull here but just stop."

Hannah's cheeks reddened and she shook her head so fast that her hair whipped her face. "I'm not trying anything. You just look very troubled. I'm sorry."

Travis' irritation grew. Even as she apologized to him she watched him closely. She was studying him like a fucking text book. Her eyes on him were focused and intense. He swore the longer he was around the girl the weirder she got.

He didn't know why she kept watching him like that and he didn't care much to know either. He had way too much on his mind already and her staring was getting to his head. This was why he hated being paired up. You either got a lazy ass, a controlling workaholic or in his case - a soon to be certified nut.

There was no way in hell he was gonna sit down while she stared him down all day and asked him about his feelings. He didn't know if she was a shrink in training or just plain nosy but he wasn't up to being interrogated.

He gathered his things, shoved them in his bag and stood up from the table. Aubrey's last exam for the day would be over in about five minutes and he'd rather wait for her than sit with Hannah while she mentally dissected his character.