Chapter 20

Lindsay didn't come home until late at night. I could hear her throwing up in the bathroom all night, keeping me up. I wonder when she is going to realise what drinking does to you when you have too much.

She didn't bother to come down for breakfast in the morning. Mum went to make sure she was up. She was. She just didn't feel like eating anything. I doubt that's even the reason why Lindsay didn't come down. She doesn't want Mum to know she has been drinking last night. After Mum left for work, Lindsay came out of her room, half asleep.

When we get to school we go our separate ways until roll call. English was first period. I watch Lindsay from where I was sitting two seats down from her. I chuckle to myself. She kept rubbing her head all through the lesson, not being able to concentrate on anything Mrs Callea was saying. I guess that will teach her to drink so much.

It was only just a few minutes left of class when Lindsay decided she couldn't take the hangover anymore and ask Mrs Callea if she could go down to the sick bay. My teacher allows her to go. She picks up her things and walk out of the classroom.

The bell rings about ten minutes later. Everyone gathers up their things, rushing out of the door to their next class. I take my time packing my things. Nathan is beside me. I need to talk to him since I don't have any other classes with him today.

"Remember your essay is due on Friday, so please do not forget them," Mrs Callea tells the students who are still in the classroom. "Alex, could you please remind your sister about the essay."

Whatever, I want to say. I don't really feel like reminding my sister about our assignment. It's up to her to remember it.

"Yeah, sure, Mrs Callea," I say.

Nathan turns to leave, and I quickly hurry after him. I grab his arm and pull him aside as the rest of the class walks out.

"Can I please talk to you?" I ask him, hoping he doesn't mind being a few minutes to his next class. It shouldn't take long. I just have to tell him something quickly.

"I hope you aren't planning to do anything to Nathan, Alex," Mrs Callea says to me as she walks over to us, carrying some folders which had all of our work inside.

I shake my head. "I just need to ask him something."

My teacher looks at me from Nathan then back to me. I couldn't help wonder if she knew that something was going on between us. She didn't say anything else and walks out of the classroom. The room is now empty with just Nathan and me standing beside the door. I close it so no one outside can see me talking to Nathan as they walk by.

"What do you want to talk about?" Nathan turns to me.

 "Are you doing anything tonight?" I ask him.

"No, I don't think so. Why?"

"I want to see you tonight. I want to tell you something. Could you please meet me at the park around seven? I will be near the playground."

He nods. "Yeah, I can do that. I will be there."

"Please make sure no one comes with you."

He promises, and we go our separate ways.

I imagine how it would go with him tonight, telling everything about my dad. I don't know how he would react, and I wonder to myself if he will really listen like he says. Half of me feared he was going to run off and disappear when he hears about my past, the other half knew he will listen.

I almost hesitated when it was almost seven o'clock. I begin to think whether or not if I'm making the right decision. Once I tell him, there is no turning back. I need to tell him. I can't leave him in the dark forever.