Chapter 17

For the first time ever I was actually excited about attending German. I take my usual spot in the back beside the window. Nathan takes a sit a couple or seats down from me where he sits with Eric. He looks my way and smiles. I return it. Eric then whispers something to him and he talks to him.

Mr Brown then stands at the front of the class and begins the lesson. I ignore him. Making sure no one was watching me, I sketch the side of his face. The butterflies return even though I'm not near him. I feel weird for sketching someone else other than my dad.

As soon as class is over I make my way to the library where I could spend recess in there. I continue with the drawing.

"I want to know where you were last night," I hear my sister's voice.

I quickly snap my book closed and turn to see my sister walking over to me. She is mad. She stands beside and crosses her arms across her chest.

"You never go out," she continues.

"I went nowhere," I answer. There is no way I'm telling her about the concert.

"You were out with Nathan last night, weren't you?"

My heart pounds in my chest. She knows. Oh God, she knows I went out with him. I can't tell her the truth. She will make fun of me for being with him.

"Why would I go out with Nathan?" I deny.

Lindsay knows I'm lying and that I'm hiding me something. Maybe it's because is my twin and we attend to know when the other one is lying and telling the truth. If someone else was to ask me if I was out with Nathan, they would believe my lies. They will end the discussion before they get their head torn off by me. Lindsay, on the other hand, she will keep asking me questions, even if I don't even up answering them, but she will keep asking until I crack and tell her.

"You like him," she answers for me. "That's why you would go out with Nathan."

I panic on the inside. My heart seems to beating faster than usual. I feel sick. She knows. Wait, no. I don't like him. She doesn't know anything. I don't like Nathan. I never had and I will never have. We are just friends. I think that's what we are. I don't know if I want to be friends with him.

I roll my eyes. I need to act like myself otherwise she will think something is definitely up. "That would be the day if I ever went out with him. I will never go out with him. I don't like him."

Liar! My head screams at me.

I suddenly feel dizzy. This is too much for me.

"Alex, Lindsay, could you girls please keep it down in here," the librarian tells us. I hate librarians. I don't see the harm in speaking in the library.

"Alex, there's nothing wrong with admitting how you feel about someone," Lindsay continues, not exactly listening to the librarian at all. "You don't need to feel a shame."

"I don't need to admit anything."

I stand up quickly, and I really wish I hadn't. I feel lightheaded. Lindsay sees that something is wrong. She is asking me if I'm okay, but I don't answer her. I need to get out of here. I need to clear my head. I turn to grab my stuff, and as I walk away, I collapsed.

       *         *           *         *         *

I wake up in the sick bay. I'm here alone. I sit up. I feel thirsty and grab my water bottle from my bag. I glance at my watch. It's half way through third period. There is no reason to go back to class right now. I just have to wait here until the bell rings.