Chapter 9: Learning to Fall

Avery

Something was different about him, it made me...curious. "Hello, Avery?" Jesse repeated as I focused my attention on him. "I'm sorry my brain is just-" I stopped talking and sighed. "Alright, then don't talk." He said getting angry and placed his hand on the wheel as he continued driving. "Why are you upset?" I asked, "Because your being reckless!" He shrieked. "Do you realize what happened back there? He could've done anything to you." Jesse responded. "And why do you care so much about what he could've done?" I asked, I could tell he was already pissed off but I frankly didn't care. "Because your my girlfriend, I'm suppose to protect you." He responded, "That's funny, Jason said the same thing to me before." I replied, he started to bluff. "Every word that comes out your mouth is about Jason, you don't care about me. You just needed someone to pull you away from him so you could forget about him." He responded. "And apparently, that didn't help, did it?" I shrieked. He sighed, "Your just like him, you can never make up your mind, and when you do, you always chose the wrong." He replied, "Works both ways, doesn't it?" I answered back and got out of the car. "So we're done?" He asked driving on the edge near me. "I thought I made that obvious." I replied as I walked up the stairs to my house. I grabbed the keys out of my bag and opened the door and then locked it. "Your home early." My father said which startled me, "I wasn't feeling well, so I came home." I said. Of course I lied. "Where did you get those marks?" He said as he moved my face and examined my scars. "The road was blocked off this morning so I took a short cut, ended up getting scratched by some tree branches and twigs." I replied. He seemed to be convinced after he let go of me and walked away. "Where's mom?" I asked as I started to walk up the stairs. "She's in the room if you want to see her." He replied as I walked up the stairs. I looked into the room to see my mother laying on my parents, King Size bed. "Hi sweetie, how are you?" She said as her eye caught my attention. "I'm good, what about you?" I said as I climbed into the bed next to her. "I'm fine. Why are you out of school early?" She asked. "I wasn't feeling good." I replied. "And your scars-" She said when I cut her off. "I got them on the way to school, it's nothing." I replied. "Okay." She said as she rubbed the back of my neck and moved a piece of my hair to the side. "Get some rest, okay." She replied as I got of the bed and walked out the room into my room. I placed my bag on the ground and kicked off my shoes and changed into a over sized shirt. My phone began to ring as I looked at the Caller ID; "Luke" I sighed and answered the phone. "Hello?" I answered a bit annoyed. "You didn't come today, are you okay?" He asked concernedly. "Yes, I'm fine. Just wasn't in the mood today, sorry. What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked curiously. "Nothing, nothing." He repeated. "Tell me." I insisted, "Nothing." He replied. "It's always nothing." I muttered. "I should get started on my homework." He replied, "Yeah, well I need to do the same." I said and then hung up the phone. I reached over to grab my bag from off the ground and then took my books out to start my homework. I looked on the school website for the homework and then pushed my laptop out the way and started my homework.

~*~

Jason

I didn't care about her anymore, she means nothing to me. She's a memory, that needs to be forgotten. But memories that are forgotten, tend to be the ones we miss most. I decided to look back at the papers Liam handed me about Daniel. It sure as hell was a lot. "You know, I can come with you if you want." He said as I turned back to look at him. "Nah, I think I'll just go by myself." I replied. "Ya sure? You won't need someone just in case?" He asked as walked into the kitchen. "No, I'll be fine." I said as I carefully looked through the rest of the papers. "Ya know, that girl Kaitlyn called for you a few times this week. Maybe you should call her back." Liam replied as he went into the fridge. "She doesn't really seem, my type." I replied with and emphasize on the word 'my'. He choked on his orange juice, "Since when do you have a type?" He asked as he emerged out of the kitchen and back into the living room as he sat across from me. "It's complicated." I replied. "Girl back home?" He asked. "That's none of your business, actually." I replied. "Whoa." He said a speaking bit louder, "You don't have to jump at me, I'm just asking. I'm sorry, I didn't know." He replied. "How would you know?" I asked as I looked up at him. He remained quiet and then sighed. "Never mind, I'll just leave you to it." He said as he got up. "-I still think you should call Kaitlyn to get over that girl you don't wanna talk about. The number is on the counter." He added and walked out the room. I placed the papers down on the table then reached for the remote to turn off the tv. I got up and went over near the island counter and examined the number as I grabbed my phone and started to dial Kaitlyn's number. "Hello?" She answered as I heard people in the background. "Yeah, it's me Jason. I was wondering if you wanted to grab something to eat tonight." I asked as I started to casually walk around as I talked to Kaitlyn. "Depends." She replied, "Where we heading?" She asked, "Mélisse, how does 7 sound?" I asked. "Great, I'll meet you down by the pier, okay?" She responded. "Okay, bye." I said as I pressed the END button on my phone. I made my way back by the couch and rested my head on the pillow as I looked up into the ceiling. She has Jesse now there's nothing to worry about.

~*~

"You have to end it with Avery, Jason."

"So Jesse can move in on her like he did to Sarah?"

"I'm not breaking up with Avery, I can't."

"Since when do you have a soft spot."

"Since I've been with Avery.

No one or nothing is coming between us again, I'll deal with Jesse."

~*~

"I was, but then I realized that I was holding on to something that didn't exist anymore.

That the person I missed didn't exist anymore.

People change.

The things we like and dislike change.

And we can wish they couldn't all day long but that never works."

― Sarah Ockler

~*~

So much for dealing with Jesse, I was letting him win. But I couldn't go back, she knew that, and I've sent her texts and she never bothered to text back, so I think she moved on. It's best that I do the same, there's no point in sitting back waiting for someone who could careless if your dying or locked behind bars for life. Avery; her father told me to stay away, maybe it's best if I listen to him now.

~*~

Avery

I've finished my homework and I was laying in bed faced down. My life was a mess. I've been ignoring Jason, just broken up with Jesse, and staying far away from Luke as possible. I didn't even have one friend who I could just hang out with or tell any of this two because it's too big of a secret. After I finished my homework, I've decided to get some food in my system but that didn't work out, I threw up about a numerous of times and I've been in the same position for the past hour. Then the cramps started; just my luck it was the time of the month. Usually when this happens, Jason would be here making me laugh and trying to comfort me in any way possible but except I had more to deal with. I heard a knock on the door as my mother walked into the room to check on me. "Hey sweetie, are you okay?" She asked. Of course I didn't responded. "I heard you throwing up in the bathroom, what's wrong?" She asked concernedly. "Avery, your not preg-" She asked as soon as I cut her off, "No mom!" I shrieked in pain. "I'm just having cramps, it's nothing." I said trying to make her worry less. "Is it bad cramps, do you want soup, tea, the heating pad?" She asked. But frankly she was asking so many questions I couldn't keep up with her, my brain was jumbled up with all these unsaid feelings and anger that I softly started to cry. "No!" shrieked in anger. "Okay, then what do you want Avery?" She asked getting a bit more upset this time. "Nothing." I replied as she shut the door on her way out. Or maybe I did want something, or someone.