Wedding Bells and Apparation Cracks

            I looked at myself in the mirror and smoothed my hair one last time. Today was Charlie’s wedding. April seventh. I sighed and was trying to prepare myself for what would happen today. I hadn’t tried going back to the shop. I hadn’t tried to talk to George anymore. But today I was going to see him. Maybe we’d talk. Maybe he’d run away. I took a deep breath and looked at my hair again.

            “Ready, Mummy?” Chris asked and I turned to look at him. He was sitting on my bed in a little tux and I grinned.

            “Yes I am.” I went over to him. “Got the present?”

            He hopped off the bed and grabbed the gift. “Yep!”

            I smiled and took his hand. “Then let’s go, yeah?” He nodded and I picked him up before apparating with him.

            The Burrow looked exactly how I remembered it except now it was all set up for an outside wedding. It was beautiful and sunny and a large marquee was set up like the ones I saw in Bill and Fleur’s wedding pictures. Guests were already there and in line to be seated inside and I joined in with Chris in hand. Once we got closer to the entrance, I saw George. Him and Percy were leading people in and my breath instantly caught. Percy saw me and a smile crossed his face and George disappeared into the marquee. I sighed and smiled at Percy.

            “Claire, it’s been a while since we’ve seen you.” He said.

            I nodded. “Yeah. Having a kid makes you busy.”

            He nodded. “I know how that is. Sitting on Charlie’s side, I presume.”

            “You presumed correctly.” I smiled and he led us to Charlie’s side, taking the present.

            I put Chris on the seat next to me and looked around. I saw Charlie smiling at me and I smiled back before I found George. He was standing right next to Charlie and he was just looking at me. My heart jumped and I saw him look away. I sighed and looked down, pretending to fix my dress. I hated that it was awkward like this. I just wanted everything I ruined to be fixed. I was going to take another glance at him but when I looked up, Charlie was standing there with a grin on his face.

            “Can you believe this monstrosity?” He asked and sat down by me.

            I laughed. “If Selena hears you, she’ll have your ear.”

            “If Mum hears me she’ll have my arse.” He laughed and I smacked him.

            “Language!” I scolded, which caused both him and Chris to laugh.

            “So this must be little Chris.” Charlie stuck his hand out to him. “Nice to meet you, little buddy.”

            Chris took his hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you too.”

            “Chris, this is Charlie. You remember me telling you about him?” I asked.

            He nodded. “Yeah. You said he’s funny but I don’t think so.”

            I laughed and Charlie looked offended. “I am very funny, little man. You just haven’t seen any of it yet.”

            “Charlie! Get up here!” Bill yelled from where he and George were standing.