Leaving

Leaving

            I stood by the nursery at the hospital and stared at the baby that was mine. His silver blonde hair was coming through like it was laughing at me. He was asleep and right now, he was just under Christopher. No last name. I didn’t know what to give them for a last name so it was just Christopher. I couldn’t name him Fred. Not when George was so mad about this. Not when he wasn’t George’s son. I stood there and cried  and soon felt someone stand by me. I looked to see Charlie standing there and he wrapped his arms around me.

            “It’s gonna be okay, Claire.” He said and I cried into him.

            “No it’s not, Charlie. He hates me.” I said.

            “No he doesn’t. He’s just upset.” He looked into my eyes. “How did this happen?”

            I took a deep breath. “When I was trapped at Draco’s, he…” I trailed off and knew he’d get it. “Then when I was saved George and I did it and then weeks later I found out I was pregnant but didn’t know who the father was. I didn’t know how to tell George he might not be the father so I just never told him.” I wiped my eyes and looked at the baby. “I never meant to hurt him.”

            He nodded. “Just tell him that, Claire. I’m sure he’ll understand.”

            I sighed. “I don’t even know where he is. He probably doesn’t want to tell me.”

            He sighed. “Can you leave?”

            I nodded. “Yeah. I’m all clear to leave. They healed me and everything.”

            “Well, we’ll bring the baby to the flat and if George isn’t there, Selena and I will watch him and you can go looking for him. If he comes back, we’ll keep him there, okay?”

            I nodded once again. “Okay.”

            We did exactly as Charlie suggested and took Chris to the flat. George wasn’t there and I prepared myself to go looking for him. I went out into Diagon Alley and I looked everywhere. The Leaky Cauldron, the ice cream shop… I then apparated to the Burrow but he wasn’t there either. Where else would he be? I searched everywhere I could think but couldn’t find him. I got back to Diagon Alley and sat outside Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes and just cried. I hated myself more than ever. How could I have done this to George? He was looking forward to being a father and in one second I crushed his dreams. I didn’t deserve him. Maybe it was for the best that I couldn’t find him.

            Once I composed myself, I went back up to the flat and found Selena asleep on the couch and Charlie in the kitchen drinking coffee. He nodded towards the nursery and I knew that meant George was here. I took a deep breath as I walked into the room and found him looking down at Chris. I slowly looked over to him and before I said anything, I saw he was bleeding and he smelled of alcohol.

            “George, what happened?” I asked and he looked at me with depressed eyes. I haven’t seen him like that since the first time I met him.

            “I got into a fight.” He answered nonchalantly.

            “With who?”

            “Malfoy.”

            I sighed. “Does he know?”

            “Of course he does, Claire. He knew all along.” His voice was angry and I fought the tears from returning.