Last Words

• Dedicated to To All My Fans

Chapter 38 - Last Words

I ventured throughout the concrete halls. I was about to turn down a hallway when I heard footsteps approaching, so I turned back and waited around the corner with my back to the wall. The footsteps came closer and closer. So I waited...and waited. 

As soon as they came into view I launched my arm out and knocked one on it's back. Then I did a round kick and knocked the other Hunter down. Taking the gun from him I used it's bud to pistol whip both of them until they were unconscious. Shooting them would have been easier but nosier. 

I put the gun in my back pocket after dragging their bodies into a deserted room and shut the door behind them. Then I turned back down the hallway and hastily made my way through the areas. I didn't know how many Hunters I expected to be roaming these halls but two seemed a little understocked in my opinion. Where was everyone?

I turned the corner, passing the room Mason and I were once held in, and made it down another hallway that was a dead end. There was a door at the very back, though, and it as open. Something beckoned me to enter it. I took the gun out of my back and held it out in front of me as I approached the door. I looked left and right inside the room, which looked like an office, and made my way inside when I saw that it was clear.

I took a few steps into the room when I heard the door slam shut behind me. I turned and cursed. "Shit, Mason..." I ground out putting the gun down. "You scared the crap out of me. What the hell are you doing?"

"The Hunters must have been warned somehow and they're all up top. Flynn's got it covered so I came down here to check on you. Any sign of him yet?"

I shook my head. "Not yet. I think this was his office though." Mason must have grabbed some clothes off of one of the Hunters because he wasn't one for camouflage wear. 

"Alright, come on then. We'll keep checking," Mason said.

Thats when I felt something. A breeze passed through the room. "You feel that?" A whistling sound soon followed and Mason nodded. "Where's that wind coming from?"

We searched around the room and I snorted when I took in the sight of the bookshelves. Gerald never read. Why the hell would he have books? As far as I knew, he was illiterate. I reached forward and fiddled with all of the books until I heard an odd clicking noise. I smirked. "He always did like his secret compartments," I turned to face Mason who stood behind me. "He used to have this secret place down in the basement where he kept his wine. I snuck in a few times and drained a few bottles of his down the sink just out of spite. Guess he's still up to his old tricks."

I pushed the bookshelf slightly and it swung open. Mason and I exchanged a look before stepping inside. As soon as we did, the shelf shut closed behind us as if it worked on a spring. We were both startled slightly but took in the room with wide eyes. The room was a dull as the concrete hallways, but there was certainly one thing that stood out. 

A green room. More specifically, a wall at the back was made of glass and showed a room filled with plants, a small pond, a wood fire burning. It was like a mini jungle habitat situated beyond the glass. Beautiful, but weird. 

"I think this is the wrong office," Mason said.

I nodded. "This must have been where Darwin stayed." I looked around and saw a bed off to the side and a small kitchen and bathroom. That jungle must have been how he sustained his powers while living down here all that time. Must have been here  his whole life. Some of those trees looked over a decade old.  

"This is their home base by the looks of it," Mason added as he walked around, accessing everything.

"But where are they?"