Guardian

(fyi: anything in italics = dream/flashback)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 22 - Guardian

 I gasped and fell back into the car, grasping the seat to steady myself.

Mason turned to me but kept driving. "What happened? You okay?"

I gulped, nodding my head. "Just lost my balance for a moment. I'm okay." I shook it off and turned behind me to face Flynn. "Thanks for holding me."

He smiled at me, an amused expression on his face as he looked between Mason and I. "Tell your mate to chill, will ya? He nearly had a heart attack while you were up there."

I smirked and turned to Mason who simply shrugged, looking a little embarrassed as he drove. "I can handle myself, you know." I told him. "I do ride horses and motorcycles...remember?"

He sighed. "Just...ease up on the daredevil stuff, okay? I can only take so much stress in one day," he admitted, his voice sounding concerned. 

It was hardly 'daredevil stuff'. Just a little fun. I'd have to remind him of what fun was eventually. But he was looking unusually stressed today. And since he won't talk about it, maybe Flynn would. I'll have to wait till were alone so that Mason can't order Flynn not to tell me. 

That whole Alpha command stuff was rather annoying at times. Granted, Mason doesn't us it that often. Only when I'm of concern it seems. 

"When are you going to realize that I'm not as breakable as I seem," I frowned at him, shaking my head.

He looked to me, recklessly might I add, as he was still driving. "Nothing you say or do will ever stop me from worrying about you."

I chuckled. "Whatever, Dr. Seuss." Flynn muffled a laugh as well, but coughed and shut up when Mason sent him a glare in the mirror. Children.

We arrived at the pack reservation soon after and I was caught off guard by the scenery. There were large black gates that opened up automatically as our cars approached and a long winding dirt road.

"What's with the gates?" I asked.

Mason turned to me. "Extra security. This is the heart of our territory, where the majority of the pack resides. So it only made sense to put it in. Especially with children running around at times."

I nodded. "It's smart," I mumbled to myself but noticed when Mason looked to me in admiration.

The gates weren't overpowering like a castle or anything. They were twelve feet tall and had spikes at the top of the black metal poles, but nothing a full grown werewolf couldn't jump over. Plus, there were trees and bushes covering it mostly, so it didn't overpower the nature of the land. 

When he drove up the pathway that was peppered with trees on either side he pulled up after he turned down another pathway and stopped the car in the middle of a field. There were a few other cars lined up but not many. Holt pulled up beside us. 

That's when I saw it. There was a huge crowd of people and picnic tables set up everywhere, all lined up orderly as if they were facing an invisible stage.

I could smell barbeques cooking all over the place and heard laughter and fun and games when I stepped out of the car.

Mason frowned down at me when he met me that the passenger side door. "You know, I'm trying to be a gentleman here, but I can't do that if you wont let me."

I smiled. "Sorry. I forgot you're like that."

He looked confused as he wrapped his arms around my waist. "Like what, exactly?"