Game On

Chapter 6 - Game On

'Dad! Please, stop! Please! I'm begging you...please!' I cried. 

His hand came down on me again, the whip cutting straight through my skin.

'You did this to me! This is all your fault!' he yelled.

'Alex!'

'Mason? Help me, Mason!'

"Alex! Alex! Wake up!" 

My eyes burst open, and I instantly saw Mason crouching over my bed, hands on my shoulders, shaking me awake. 

I felt all clammy from the dream and my eyes were darting around. I couldn't seem to focus in on one thing. The room was so dark I could barely see Mason.

That's when I saw the wolf on the wall, howling at the slightly florescent moon. I took in a deep breath, feeling a little calmer now. 

Mason took me in his arms, squeezing me tightly and rubbing my back. I was too shocked and instinctually wrapped my arms around him too. Taking in his scent, I felt...safe. Calm, too.

I took in a deep breath. It was just a dream. Nothing to worry about. So, I haven't had one in a long time. I must have had it tonight because I didn't cut. That, or having Mason know was more stressful than I thought. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that I had the nightmare. Usually it was a different one though. This one was worse. Much, much worse. I swore I could actually feel it. 

I pulled away from Mason.

"Alex?" he whispered, confused when I pushed him away so abruptly. 

I jumped off the bed and ran into the washroom, flicking on the lights. The door was open and Mason came running into it in no time.

"What's wrong? Alex?" he said with a strained voice. 

I turned around. A tear was in the back of my eyes but it was staying there for now. I was confident that I wouldn't break down again. I don't think I could go through that again in such a short period of time.

I turned around and took off his sweater, pulling up my tank top up I turned around to look at it in the mirror.

"What are you doing?" Mason urged frantically.

"Checking..." I said flatly. I let out a sigh of relief. There was nothing new on my back. Just the same old scars. 

Mason had his sweater in his arms and I saw the pain in his eyes when I turned back around. 

I gulped and went to grab the sweater back from him but he withheld it. That's when I noticed. 

He was starring me down, his body shaking and convulsing like a earthquake. Oh my god. He was going to shift. 

"Mason?" I gasped, grabbing onto his arms. "It's okay. Calm down. You shift in here and I'll kill you."

He just kept shaking and looking into my eyes, like it would calm him down if he did. But he wasn't calming down. He was getting worse, and I felt like a bomb was about to go off.

I pulled him into the bathroom more. "Get in here." I pulled him into the shower.

He didn't comment on what I might be planning. He was too busy fighting off his convulsions. 

I turned on the cold water and shoved him under it. "You need to cool down, Mason," I said softly. 

He tensed under the cold water but didn't complain. I didn't let go of him either, so I was getting a little wet myself. Then he sunk down on the floor and the movement pulled me forward. I stepped into the shower, figuring I was wet enough anyways now. I sat down in the tub with him and hung my feet over the edge of it. His legs were brought up to his chest as his shaking was calming down a little.