Rest In Peace

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great comments. They always make me smile and my day is brighter after having read them. You're all great people and inspire me constantly!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 28 - Rest In Peace

Austin arrived, and Mason stayed sitting down thankfully. I nearly laughed at his physical struggle to do so, but he stayed and allowed me to ride off with Austin. Nearly thought he was going to have a heart attack as he watched me go, but I assured him everything was going to be alright. Luckily, Austin kept his snarky remarks to a minimum, so that helped the situation a little more. 

Austin drove us to a little, old-fashioned diner in town, keeping with Mason's request to make it a public place. He was acting like Austin was some sort of axe murderer and it was starting to bug me because the most Austin's ever done is be a jerk. I used to think Mason was a jerk and my attitude changed about that. Couldn't he understand that I was giving Austin the same chance?

I ordered some pancakes and Austin got waffles. When they brought us our plates, as we sat across from each other, I reached over and took his plate and brought it closer to mine.

"What are you doing?" he narrowed his eyes at me. 

"Relax, I'm not stealing your food...sort of..." I smirked, swapping half of his waffles for half of my pancakes. "There...much better."

"Really?" he said sarcastically, but a smile played on his lips as he took back his plate.

"Best of both worlds," I smiled when he chuckled, and was pleased that I broke down his wall a little easier than I thought.

We ate away.

"So," I started off. "How did you know that I was in a cave?"

He gulped and looked up. "What do you mean?"

I smiled. He was trying to act like I hadn't caught him, but that won't fly with me. "That cave was a secret, Austin. Only the tribe and I knew about it. Mason didn't know about it and he lives here. So how did you? And don't bother lying cause I will threaten you with bodily harm if I have to."

He rolled his eyes, but I saw by the look in his eyes he was remembering being thrown into that tree. An easy brush off for a werewolf probably, but a hybrid? He had to be hurting a little still. "I tracked you, happy?" he said, sarcastically. "After I left Mason's, I followed the tribe's trail from their reservation. They didn't do a good job at hiding their tracks when they should have."

"Doesn't matter if they did. Only I can enter that place apparently," I shrugged, satisfied that he was telling the truth cause I saw a little embarrassment in his stature. He was basically admitting to stalking me. Granted, it wasn't his first time, but he couldn't hide behind his 'asshole' exterior anymore. I'm sure being exposed like this wasn't easy for him. We knew each other's secrets. There's always a sense of vulnerability in that.

"Oh," he said surprised. "Really?"

"Yup."

"Could come in handy I guess," he shrugged, biting into his food again.

"Anything else you want to get off your chest while we have the time, cause I don't see Mason being this agreeable in the future," I mocked. 

He laughed. "Ya, that guy seriously needs to get the stick out of his ass."

"Says the guy that put it there," I joked.

"Touché," he smirked, biting into his waffle dramatically.