Contingency

It had been over a week and things were actually getting better. I still missed Callie but I didn't agonize over her every minute of the day.It seems like I might actually be able to do the one thing I never thought possible, become Callie's brother. Today might actually be a good day and I haven't had one of those in a long time. As I was sitting in my room I heard moms call everyone down to the living room. I quickly made my way downstairs and Callie followed. Mariana, Jesus and Jude were already seated on the couch. Its Saturday and I actually feel like getting out of the house today so I don't bother taking a seat. Once mom has everyones attention she looks at Callie with a serious look in her eyes. This has me concerned and I say "Whats going on?"

It's noting to serious, she replies, but their has been a slight hiccup in the adoption.

I looked over at Callie and I could see the fear in her eyes as she says "What does that mean?"

Mom replies trying to calm Callie "Well apparently  there is a contingency in place with a ninety day grace period after the adoption ruling.

I look over to see Callie in a state of shock as she replies " Does that mean that I am not officially adopted yet?"

Mom quickly consoles her and says  "No sweets, of course not. She goes on to explain "You are now legally part of this family, however the ninety day adage was put into place incase for some reason either the foster parents or child change their mind.

Callie seems angry as she says "Im not changing my mind, this is ridiculous."

"Of course you're not" Mom replies, but there is one more caveat to make sure nothing voids the adoption.

"Whats that Callie says more concerned now."

"You just have to make sure that you don't give the judge any reason to suspect that you don't belong here.

"I Wont, I wouldn't." Callie says with a slight panic to her voice.

"I know honey, but you just have to be extra carful, ok!"

"Ok!" she replies with defeat in her voice.

Everyone gives Callie a hug, but I keep my distance and just smile.

"Can I please be excused?" Callie says holding back tears.

"Yes, Of course baby." Moms say in unison

After everyone disperses from the living room I head back upstairs. As I make my way to my room I can hear faint whimpers coming from Callie's room. Everyone was downstairs or out so I decided it would be ok to go console her. I walked across the hall and the door was cracked so I knocked with a slight tap "Callie, I say in a soft voice not wanting to bring any attention upstairs.

"Brandon?"She replies.

"Yeah it's me, did you want to be alone?" I say.

"No come in." She replies.

I look at her and I see the same hopless look she had in her eyes the first time she was told their were complications with the adoption. It killed me then and it's killing me now.

"Callie it will be all right, nothing is going to ruin this for you."

Callie sighs and says "What if they find out, Brandon?"

Hearing her say this sends me back to that night we made the wonderful mistake that could have changed everything. I quickly try to reassure her by saying "They won't, we are the only ones who know and I would never do that to you."

She looks up at me and wipes a tear from her eyes. "Brandon, you are such an amazing person, and I could never imagine not having you in my life."

This gives me mixed emotions and I reply "Don't worry Callie everything is going to be ok."

As I am getting up to leave she reaches for my hand and gives me a small smile and says "thank you." I shut the door behind me and crossover to my room where I settle on my bed for a moment. As I sat their I remind myself how high the stakes are and that I could do nothing to jeopardize this for her. I would act like the brother she needed no matter what I felt inside. As I made this vow to my self in silence I couldn't help but worry about the next three months and even more I worried about her.