Thirty-Nine & Forty

PART THIRTY NINE

I climbed out of the shower once I’d switched the water off, wrapping a towel around me to stop myself from shivering in my soaking wet clothes. Quietly I let myself out of the bathroom, dripping water all over the place as I wandered down the hall. 

I couldn’t hear a peep from Aston, he must have buggered off because he knew I’d be after him, hiding in the kitchen maybe? Shrugging to myself I went off to the lounge and grabbed my things, slipping my feet into the sandals I’d worn over and letting myself out the front door into the warm summers night. Of course I let the door slam behind me, just to accentuate my departure.

I walked slowly down the road towards my flat, humming to myself softly as crickets chirped in the warm night. The sun wasn’t all of the way down yet, but it was pushing nightfall. We’d been graced with a hot couple of days so I didn’t really mind that I was dripping wet walking home. It was actually quite refreshing, like I’d just come out of a swimming pool.

I got to the end of the road and turned left, just as I normally would to head home. It wasn’t until I was almost at the next turn that I heard the loud thumps of running coming after me.

“Bout time,” I mumbled to myself.

I kept walking purposefully down the sidewalk towards my flat, letting him come closer to me.

“Jess!” he panted as he finally caught up to me. I ignored him and kept walking, my eyes focused forward. “Babe I’m sorry,” he said quietly.

I took the right hand turn and crossed the street, Aston hot on my trail. 

“Jess stop, look at me,” he said, walking in front of me and pressing his hands on my shoulders to try and get me to look him in the eye, “Please look at me.” 

I just stared at the ground and kept walking, pushing him along with me.

“Come on, it was only a bit of fun,” he said, “You seemed to be enjoying it, what’s got you in this mood? I hate seeing you mad,” he said, before shutting his mouth. That statement had feelings behind it, something we were both seemingly allergic to talking about at the moment.

I stopped in my tracks and stared up at him. “What did you say?”

“Nothing,” he said, his eyes wide.

“Say it again.”

“I didn’t say anything,” he claimed.

“Fine,” I said, slipping out of his grip and continuing to walk.

“Jessica!” he said, chasing after me again.

“If you aren’t going to say it then I’m going to keep walking,” I said.

He walked alongside me for a second before stopping me again, his hands in the place on my shoulders and his forehead nearly touching mine. “I said I hate seeing you mad,” he said. “I also hate seeing you upset or sad. Happy?”

“Very,” I grinned with a giggle.

“You little…” he started, but I shut him up by pressing my lips against his in a heated kiss. He quickly grabbed hold of my waist, deepening the kiss.

“Let’s go back to mine now,” he whispered against my lips before capturing them again in his own.

“Hmm…I’m tired though,” I said with a sigh, pulling away. “And I’m more than halfway home.”

“Come on babe,” he said with a small smile.

“Just can’t be bothered to walk…” I sighed sarcastically.