Twenty-One & Twenty-Two

PART TWENTY ONE

*Aston’s POV*

“Gotta go guys,” I said to my bandmates as we wrapped up our vocal lesson.

“Where you headed?” asked Marvin.

“Appointment,” I shrugged. I hadn’t told them about the whole Vegas wedding thing. I don’t know why I hadn’t, I usually told them everything, but I knew this was something I needed to handle on my own. I was scared of their reaction if I was honest. Hell, my parents didn't even know!

I quickly drove home, changing from my street clothes into a smart suit for the divorce hearing. I needed to look my best because I knew that Jess was coming from work and would have some power suit on to try and intimidate me. I still couldn’t believe that I’d pretty much hooked up with her the night before. I don’t know what came over me, but as I saw her sashay around the club and smirk at me continually I knew that I had to make a move. She was just too sexy for her own good, and even though she drove me absolutely crazy, sometimes you just needed to go for it. I’d probably fallen for one of her tricks, but it was so worth it, well at least for those ten minutes.

I arrived first to the courthouse, and was ushered into a quiet side room to wait for everyone else. I couldn’t believe that I’d gotten in the courthouse without anyone noticing me, but I wasn’t going to complain. I was just minutes away from never having to deal with this ever again. I was so happy I could sing.

“Alright Aston?” said a low male voice after a few minutes. I looked up to see my lawyer walking in with his briefcase. I got up and shook his hand before sitting back down to wait for Jess.

I must have sat there for hours. Where the hell was she? I kept checking my phone to see what time it was, and when she was a full half hour late I sent her a text. And then she was an hour late. And then two. 

“What the hell!” I said, frustrated. We were missing our window of opportunity. 

“You can’t get a hold of her?” asked my lawyer.

“No! I’ve texted like fifty times. I’ve called and left like ten messages, but her phone must be switched off!” Inside I was freaking out that she was going to do something stupid, like selling the story before signing the papers. Or maybe she wasn’t showing because of what happened the night before? I shook my head at that thought, it was ridiculous. I knew exactly what it was.

Jess and her stupid games.

“I’m sorry Mr. Merrygold?” said a clerk as they came into the room. “If Ms. Rego isn’t going to come we’ll need to postpone.”

“Yeah fine,” I said, a massive frown on my face.

“Let me grab our register and see when we can get you in again,” the clerk said kindly. I followed them to the next room where we scheduled the next closest date I had available, in a full five weeks time. I was fuming.

Upon leaving the courthouse I got in my car and drove straight to Jess’ house, her address still in the memory of my Sat Nav from when I’d dropped her home a few weeks ago. I was ready to have it out with her. I couldn’t believe she’d stood me up! All I could think was that she’d better be ready for the telling off she was about to get… this wasn’t a game anymore, this was my life and she was messing it up immensely!

After a twenty-minute drive I pulled up at her place and got out of my car, slamming the door hard behind me out of aggravation. Deliberately I strolled up to the buzzer and pressed my finger down on it, stewing the whole time about what I was going to say. When no one answered I pressed it again, holding it down until someone answered or I was sufficiently sure no one was home. This time though, a small blonde girl who I could only guess was her flatmate came and opened the door.