Falling

I stand on stage once again, still wearing my black dress. This time, I'm alone. The judges walk on stage and people applause. I look at the main judge and wonder if he recognizes himself in my interpretation of him in my dance. Towards the middle of the dance, four people where pretending to be sitting at a table, and, in row, the others where dancing in front of them. The four judges would then put their thumbs up or down, like in ancient Rome, to kill or save dancers. He starts announcing the names of the people in different categorize, giving out small trophies and or envelopes for scholarships.

-And now for the 14 to 18 division. Before we announce the winners, we have an announcement to make. Miss Olivia Rowen is disqualified from this competition, which is a solo competition and not a group competition. Please leave the stage.

I smile and nod my head and leave, no giving a care in the world. I new this would happened. I join my friends in the auditorium.

-I'm so sorry, O, Axel says when he sees me.

-Don't be! I say. I'm not! Was worth it!

We all smile at each other like we're all part of something bigger now. When all the prizes are gone, we exit the theater. On the steps, outside, I find my mom and step dad. I walk up to them.

-What were you thinking? My mom asks, very angry.

-Where's Blaze?

She points to something behind me. I turn just in time to see my little brother jump while screaming "catch". I wrap my arms around him and hugs him.

-Olivia, my mom says. Are you completely insane? You just destroyed all your chances of being someone.

-No, she didn't, says a voice I don't recognize from behind me.

A tall man with very blond hair and soft blue eyes, in a suit, followed by a very small women with glasses, looks at me with a giant smile.

-Hello, he says, I'm Scott Mackerby. I'm the director of the Julliard academy. We would like to offer you, miss Rowen, a scholarship.

-Scholarship? Like a dance scholarship?

-Not exactly. We do not believe your place in our school would be as a dancer.

-I don't understand.

-We would like to offer you a place in our choreography major.

-Choreographer?

-We believe you have the potential, he adds with an even bigger smile. Here's my number. Just think about it.

He gives me his card and leaves, and I look around at all the people surrounding me, not sure what to do or say.

-And you thought nothing good was going to come out of this! Emilia says and I smile.

***

I look at her walking toward me. The sun shines in her hair, turning their brown color to pure gold. Her eyes are filled with stars. I can see glimpse of the universe inside of her, those secret constellations and hidden nebulas. I hear her laugh in the wind. She's jumping from rock to rock, her hair flying in every direction. The day is cold, the sky is white, it's beautiful. I catch her hand, pulling her to me. She slips and I catch her before she falls. I laugh, she laugh. I lock both of my hands with hers, resting my forehead against hers.

-I love you, I whisper in the wind.

-I know, she says with a wink.

She starts running again, laughing like a child. My heart dances in my chest. She's so beautiful. I catch her and we both fall in the sand. I lay on top of her, looking at her beautiful eyes.

-You love me? I ask.

-Of course I do, she answers. I would not have married you this morning if I didn't.

I take her left hand and kiss that new, shiny ring she's now wearing.

We lay next to each other in the sand, looking at the birds over us. The cold ocean wind washes over us, but I'm not cold. I'm never cold around her. I turn my head on the side and look at her profile. Her eyes are closed, her face turned toward the sky.

-Alaska...

She smiles. That smile makes me fall in love with her all over again, every time I see it. I'm falling, but this time I want to fall. This time I don't someone to catch me. I'm falling for her every day, every minute, every second. I know she'll let me fall, but not alone. She'll be falling with me.

Fin.