The night walker

I stand alone in the studio. Kate, my personal trainer, just left to go home, but I still want to practice one move I can' t seam to get right. Outside it's dark and raining, and it makes me fell more comfortable, less exposed. I guess that's weird for a ballerina to not to want people to look at you since everybody is always looking at you! I actually started dancing to be less shy when I was a kid. I try the jump I'm working on again, but I miss and smash down on the floor like a pancake.
-Try to rotate your hips, says a voice coming from the door.
I turn to see an unfamiliar face in the doorway. Brown hair, long and thin body, a nagging smile on hers lips. It takes me a moment to remember she's the new girl. I get up and wipe my hands on my tights.
-So you're the royal princess of this place! She says more as a statement than a question.
-Excuse me? I say.
-I've been hearing all day from all the teachers and students about a girl name Olivia who supposedly is the best dancer in here and is like royalty in this school.
I feel myself blushing. I'm not sure I like that girl.
-Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, she adds, looking down at her hands like she's shy or something.
I feel really stupid. This girl only wants to be my friend and I've been feeling defensive around her since the beginning. She takes a step inside the room and bow in front of me.
-Your royalty princess Olivia, hi, I'm Alaska.
I blush again.
-It's just Olivia, I say.
-All right, just Olivia. I'll see you, she says and leaves with a smile.
I stand still, staring at the spot in the door were she left. I'm not sure if this girl is good new or bad, and I'm not sure I want to know. I try the jump again and I fall down on my face again. I get up and try again, but this time I turn my hips a little to the right. I land the jump and stare at my reflexion in the mirror. Shit, this girl is really good. I grab my vest and my iPod and leave the room, thinking this girl might only be bad news for me if she's that good.

***

I wake up to a sound in the hallway. I check my alarm clock: 2:56am. I get up and open my door. With my flashlight on my phone I light up the hallway just in time so see someone turn the corner of the hallway. I close my light and follow the person. I walk in the dark, not bumping in anything since I know this place by hearth. I turn the corner but I don't see the night walker anywhere. I take a few step when someone slam their hand on my mouth and push me against a wall.
-Who are you? Why are you following me? asks Alaska's voice in the dark.
-You've already got enough of this place after less than 24 hours? I whisper after she took her hand away.
-Olivia? She asks.
-Are you running away? I ask.
-No.
She doesn't say anything else, she doesn't explain herself.
-Go back. I'm not leaving, I promise.
-What are you doing, you'll get us in trouble.
-Just trust me on this one and go back to your room, she says.
-Fine. But you owe me one.
-All right your majesty.
I turn around and start walking back. When I look over my shoulder she's already gone. I get back to my room and go back to bed, but I can't sleep. I'm finally able to relax and close my eyes when I hear movement in the hallway half an hour later.

The second I close my eyes I wake up again, but now it's morning and my alarm is screaming like a serial killer's victim! I slam it to shut it up and turn around in my bed. I'm so tired I could sleep for days. I close me eyes telling myself "just two more minutes" and suddenly Graham is shaking me telling me it's 7 o'clock!

-Olivia! Wake up! You're late!

-What?

-You missed morning training! It's time to eat! Get up!

I get dress in half a second and follow him to the cafeteria. When I sit at our table everybody looks at me.

-You look like shit! says Marcos.

-Thanks, I answer while drinking my coffee.

Alaska is sitting at the other end of the table, texting. She looks like she slept 13 hours! How's that even possible! She looks up to me and smiles, and I just turn around. I eat the rest of my breakfast in silence and leave before everyone. I sit in class alone, my head on my desk, taking a power nap. Graham wakes me with a kiss on the forehead and I realize class is about to start. It takes a miracle for me not to fall asleep on my books, but I strangely make it to the end of the period without passing out! In dance class I feel like all my muscles are asleep and don't want to cooperate. I make a fool of myself and Frank gives me a disappointed look that hurts just like if I had been shot. I cancel my personal training because any work would be pointless and lock myself in my room. Graham texts me to see if I'm ok and I tell him I want to be alone. I know he didn't do anything and I suck for being such a bitch but I actually just want to be left alone. Someone knocks on my door right then.