Shadows in the gallery

It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting in bed, reading a book. I love weekends because we can leave the school and go shopping and eat at restaurants and stuff. Someone knocks on the door and I expect it to be Graham so I tell the person to come in. Alaska pushes the door open, staring at me still in my pyjama.

-You're not ready?

-For what? I ask.

-You're coming with me! She says.

-Where?

-Get dress! She answers, throwing clothes at me.

She stands there with her hands on her hips, waiting for me to change.

-Do you mind, I say while pointing the door.

-Five minutes! She says and walk out the door.

I get dress and meet her in the hallway. She doesn't say anything and starts walking. I follow her. We walk out the school and jump in the first bus we find. Since it's the beginning of September, the air is still hot and the outside world still looks like summer. We get out in a street full of houses. Kids are playing outside, running around or on their bikes. She walks on the sidewalk and I follow her. In front of us, at the corner of the street, an old church stands tall.

-You're taking me to a church! I say in total confusion.

-You'll see.

She walks around the church to a back door. She takes a set of keys from her pocket and unlocks the door. We walk in a completely dark room. I stand by the wall because I can't see anything.

-Come on, she says.

I hear her walk away.

-Alaska? Where are you?

I follow her footsteps, hitting stuff on my way. I walk in a huge room where there's a little light coming from the windows. With the small amount of light I see what looks like tall walls in the middle of the room. There are no walls like that in churches! Right then the light turn on. This is not a church, or it's not anymore. This place is a rock-climbing center! Alaska is standing by the front door, her hand on the light switch.

-Wow, I say. This place is crazy! How come you have a key.

She smiles.

-I worked here last summer. Come on, I'll get you set.

-For what?

-Climbing of course!

She gives me a harness and ties me to a rope. I climb the wall, listening to her telling me where to put my hands and feet. When I reach the top I look down and scream.

-Oh God, this is so high!

-Don't worry, I got you, she says.

She gets me down really slowly. When my feet reach the ground she smiles and high fives me!

-Your first wall!

-This is so cool!

-Wanna try another wall?

I nod with a wide smile. After my third wall I take a break and she climbs alone, strapping herself to the wall one her way to the top so she won't fall. She's really good, like a ninja, or maybe a cat.

-So you're like a rock-climbing ballerina? I ask while looking at her from the floor.

-I'm not like a rock-climbing ballerina. I'm a rock-climbing ballerina!

-My apology. Do you always climb here or other places too?

-Here or outside. I like climbing buildings too. There's something about climbing a brick building that you're not suppose to climb that makes it even more fun.