The invitation

I stand on stage with all the other contestants in my category. The lights aren't as bright as when I was dancing so I can see everybody in the room. I see all the seniors from my school, Alaska in the middle of all of them. Kate is sitting with them too. The judges stand on stage with envelopes on their hands.
-We will now call the finalist of this competition. In the 14 to 18 division, the finalist are...
With every name comes cheer, and sometimes they're so loud we can't hear the next name properly. It's only when I see all the seniors standing up cheering, and Alaska looking at me with eyes as bright as fire that I know that I've been nominated. I stand straight and smile, clapping as the next names are called.
-Congratulation to all, says the judge. The finals will take place in New York City in April. Prepare well.
Twenty minutes later in out of there, meeting my friends in the lobby.
-Who wants pizza? Ask Cain.
We all agree and leave for pizza. Alaska is walking up front with Flore, and as much as I'd love to be walking with her hand in mine, I know it's not a possibility. Tomorrow we'll all be on stage at the Washington Performing Arts center, all off us in costumes, playing roles together, with hundreds of people watching, but tonight we're normal teenagers eating pizza. My phone rings in the middle of our dinner.

-I got to take this, I say when everybody looks at me looking at my phone.

I step outside, the cold wind freezing me to death since I didn't took my coat.

-Hi mom, I say.

-Did you win?

-Yes I did.

-You're in finals?

-Yes I am.

-Good! That's what I wanted to hear.

I don't answer.

-When are you coming home?

-I thought you were coming for tomorrow's show?

-Oh, we had to cancel darling. Brad had a poker game.

-A poker game! You're missing my show for a poker game! What about me, or Blaze, you don't think he'd want to see me?

-Blaze is a child, he'll get over it. Plus you've been dancing since forever, we've already seen you dance many times, how different could it be.

-Fuck you! I scream in my phone.

I cut her off, breathing in the cold wind to calm myself down. I hear the door open behind me. I feel her put my coat over my shoulder. She turns my shoulder so I'm facing her.

-You're mother? She asks.

I nod.

-Hey, why you crying baby? She asks while whipping a tear away from my cheek.

-They're not coming, none of them.

-I'm sorry. That sucks big time.

-I don't want to go there for Christmas. It's going to be hell.

She stays silent for a second, then says:

-What if you came with me?

-Where?

-I'm going to my mom's. She's back from her trip and we're spending Christmas with my grandma.

-Where?

-New Jersey.

-Well, it's not too far from New York. I could go see Blaze a few times.

-I'll come with you, she says with a smile.

I nod.

-Okay. I'm coming with you.

She hugs me, not daring do anything else because someone could be watching and we go back inside. For the rest of the night I keep thinking about us spending Christmas together, day dreaming about kissing in front of the Christmas tree and going skating on a frozen lake and watching movies together with a warm blanket. This is going to be amazing.