Chapter 8: Anxiety

A/N: *sobs I'm so evil... This was supposed to be a Bal story but I'm writing this chapter about Marlos... WHY!!!!

Oh, hi aldenbooks ;)

"Be honest. Does this look good on me?" Mal said in a monotonous voice. Carlos shut the book he was reading with a frustrated look on his face. "This is the hundredth time you're asking me. Yes, it looks nice." He answered with an irritated voice.

Mal pouted. "But you said this to every other dress I put on!"

"Why couldn't you ask Audrey?" Carlos asked, standing up from his place on the floor and trying to cross over the huge pile of clothes that Mal had dumped on the floor. Since when did Mal want to look good? Back on the Isle, Mal only wore leather jackets and zippers. She always had this natural leader-like attitude that Carlos always adored. He remembered that Mal always helped him find spare parts to attach to his new tech that he invented. Now in Auradon, everything about her... is changing. She doesn't spray paint anymore, she's gotten into makeup, and she's always, always with Ben.

Always, with him...

Ben.

Not him.

Wait, what?

He snapped back to focus on Mal's tired face.

"You're the only one that's here, Evie's gone to who knows where, Audrey's part of the dance committee and Jay doesn't know anything about fashion! Please, please help me Carlos..." Mal wailed into the purple dress she's holding. Carlos rolled his eyes. "Okay first of all, I'm not into fashion, my mother is. Second, why are you so keen on changing yourself?"

Exactly. Why are you always trying to change?

Mal looked up at Carlos staring curiously at her, waiting for an answer. She took in a deep breath. "Ben's parents won't like a punk girl like me..."

That's not-

 "-after all, Audrey was Ben's girlfriend, and look at her! She's the epitome of a perfect lady."

No, Mal, she's-

 "-What if Ben's parents never want Ben to see me ever again because I'm a bad influence?"

Mal-

 What if Ben secretly hates me? Maybe Ben was trying to fake this all along because he was scared I may cast an evil spell over the school or something. Maybe-"

"Stop it!"

Mal froze in fear when she heard Carlos yell. She breathed in softly, looking at Carlos' hands gripping onto her shoulders. He was always smaller, shorter than her... But now, it felt like he was the one towering over her.

"Carlos-"

"It's always about Ben, Ben, Ben, isn't it?!" Carlos spat. Mal's eyes widened when he gripped her tighter. "Why is his opinion so important, anyway?" Carlos' voiced changed into a low whisper. Mal let out a soft whimper. She was scared of him now.

"Because... I-I love him." She choked.

He sighed.

"Why?"

"Because," She paused, looking him in the eye. "Because he loves me-"

"So don't ever change yourself because he loves you just the way you are." Carlos finished. Mal bit her lip and looked at the purple dress she was holding. Carlos released his grip on her as the minutes crawled by. Mal started shaking furiously. Carlos' features changed to a worried look as he held up her chin with a hand.

"M-Mal? Are you okay? I didn't mean-"

Mal was laughing. What's happening to me, all these mood swings are making me feel weak... She thought to herself as she started giggling uncontrollably, her arms grabbing her sides and laughed until her cheeks turned pink. Carlos breathed out a sigh of relief before asking - "Okay, why are you laughing?"

The confused look on Carlos face made Mal laugh harder. 

Carlos frowned and crossed his arms over his chest. "You sound like a donkey, why are you laughing?" Her laughs turned into hiccups before she finally calmed herself down. "Never seen ya giving out wise advice before, short stack." She looked at him as if she was proud of him. His cheeks stained red. 

He looked away. "Shut up. I have my moments."

"You looked hilarious. I didn't think you had a serious face."

"I have a serious face!"

"Let me see it again."

He scrunched up his nose, his brows furrowed, and his lips pouted.

Mal laughed uncontrollably once more.

...

Carlos helped Mal by putting all the dresses back into Evie's closet. They probably didn't do a good job of putting it back in - more like stuffing it in and attempting to shut the closet door, but at least the floor was rid of any pile of clothing.

Mal started fiddling with the ring Ben gave her. She looked up to see Carlos staring at it intently, as if he wanted to do something about it.

"You can still... help me pick a dress right?"

Carlos shook his head, grinning. "No way, I can Mal. You'd either have to ask E or Audrey that 'cause I'm only going to pick black or white for you." Mal started giggling again.

"Thanks Carlos." She said, pulling him in for a small hug. "You're a great friend."

Carlos' big grin softened and disappeared before Mal left the room.

Yup. That's me. Friend.

Wait, why do I even care?

Just as Carlos was about to leave as well, his mind in a boggle, a small knock came on the door. He turned to see Lonnie holding Dude, a small smile tugging her lips.

"Hey, I finished walking Dude and I heard everything." Carlos gave her an incredulous look. How long had she been standing there?!

"You're a great friend, Carlos. I'm glad that you and the others decided to be good. That was a kind act that you just did." Lonnie chirped. 

Carlos shot her a look. Even Lonnie thinks so... 

"How do you feel after doing such a kind deed, VK? It's not that bad being nice, isn't it?" Lonnie grinned.

Carlos shrugged. "To be honest...Pretty upset." He said calmly before taking Dude out of her hands and exiting the room.

Lonnie stared at the floor, trying to understand what had just happened.

"Wait. Does that mean...?"

A/N: URGHHHHHHHH stupid cute marlos! Gaaahh!