Chapter 5: Lesson 3 - Communication

A/N: I love love LOVE all of your support guys! I saw mari_lom12's comment on one of my chapters during my science lesson - I screamed out of excitement. My first comment.. yay! Then i realised my whole class and my teacher were staring at me...

Thanks AshleyClarke0 for following me! You both rock! And to thank you all, this is going to be an extra long chapter!

"Good news, Mal!" Audrey squealed in excitement as she sat next to Mal at the villains' table of the cafeteria. Mal's favourite place definitely had to be the cafeteria. It was in a vast open space outside the school walls. Just being surrounded by lush greenery and not having to be confined to the classroom made her feel happy and free. She remembered her old school back at the Island - dark, grungy and dirty. Today's meal was just going to be the dessert that she picked - strawberry shortcake. Ever since Ben had brought strawberries into the picnic basket, she's gone crazy for them ever since. Mal was sitting with Jay, Carlos and Evie - who was making cooing noises to a lovestruck looking Doug.

Ugh, gag. She thought to herself, then smirked. How ironic was it that she was barfing over Evie and Doug when she was dating King Ben?

"Could you let me finish my shortcake first?" Mal pleaded as she stuffed herself. So good, she thought to herself, savouring every sweetness in her mouth. Audrey rolled her eyes. "So much for the table manners." She muttered to herself.

"What?" Mal asked, her mouth stuffed with cake.

"Nothing. Anyways, a little bird told me that Ben's going to be back from his business trip from the Charmington Residences." Interested, Mal put down her fork. "And Auradon's going to have a masquerade ball -"

"So you're saying that Ben's folks are gonna be there too." Jay finished. Audrey fluttered her eyelashes looking flirty in response. "Of course."

Okay, major barf. Mal tucked into her cake again. As she stood up to return her plate, Audrey tailed after her. "So, ready to prove to his parents that you can be a polite princess?" Audrey asked.

Mal nodded. "What's our next lesson?"

~~~

"It is most important that you learn how to socialise properly with Ben's parents." She plopped five books onto Mal's lap. Mal read the title. A guide on how to interact politely. Huh. Mal glanced around. "We're in Ben's room..." She blushed a little, realising where she was. Audrey began searching through his drawers. Mel's eyes widened at how calm Audrey looked while rummaging through the King's drawer. Wasn't there a rule in Auradon where you can't go through other people's private things? Even her mother, Maleficent disapproved of her going through her mother's shelf of spell books without permission. 

Audrey had suddenly found one of The King's boxers, blue with yellow stripes, in the drawer, hidden from the messy pile of worksheets strewn in it and a few odd things. She held it up.

They stared at it.

"What are you doing?! And what in Auradon are we looking for?!" Mal shrieked, only to have her mouth covered by Audrey. "Shh! If you keep shouting, the whole of the boys dorm can hear us! And haven't you snuck into someone's room before?" Audrey stopped to glance at her quizzically.

"Duh, I'm the daughter of a villain. But -" She blushed a dark shade of red. Sure, she had snuck into Jay and Carlos' room before to play pranks on them, but this... this was Ben's room. She had feelings for him, she had a weird and funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. 

"What are we looking for again?" Mal asked.

"Ah-hah! Found it!"

Curious, Mal rose up from the bed to glance over at what Audrey was flipping through.

No. Way.

"BEN'S DIARY?! Audrey are you crazy?!" Audrey ignored her and leafed through the pages. Finally she stopped. "There! You see, he had diary entries written about his parents!"

Mal could only stare at her in shock. "So, his dad loves croquet, his mom loves knitting, and they both love reading. You can bring these topics up when you talk to them, Mal!" Mal nodded numbly. "See, aren't I a genius? They'll love you in no time!"

Mal wanted to strangle her, or turn her into frog. She had her spell book with her, right? Before she could think of ways to torture Audrey, a familiar voice echoed outside the room. Mal and Audrey exchanged horrified looks.

"Yes, yes Grandpa, I miss you too. Maybe next time I can visit your workshop." Ben's voice grew louder and louder.

"Quick, hide!" Mal hissed, shoving Audrey's head under the bed, before wriggling in.

The sound of the door could be open. Footsteps headed nearer and nearer until it stopped. "Huh. That's odd." Mal heard Ben say, before she could hear the sound of the drawer being closed. She shot a glare at Audrey, who smiled sheepishly.

Ben began whistling a merry tune, much to Mal and Audrey's horror. He's not going to leave the room, is he?!

Ben sank into his bed. Mal nearly gasped, both of them were feeling the weight of him under his bed. 

Was Ben always this heavy? 

It wasn't until a knock came on the door that he rose up from the bed. This is suffocating... Mal wheezed. Ben opened the door. "Hey Jay. What's up? He smiled. Jay handed him a clipboard. "Coach asked me to ask you about the new students participating in this year's Tourney game." Jay answered in a monotonous tone, his face looking bored. Wasn't it supposed to be Chad's job to be doing this? He grumbled. Chad Charming was co-captain of the Tourney game, and yet he manages to hide his way out of important Tourney events as a co-captain. "Ah yes. The big game next week. Looking forward to it." Ben grinned.

"Now's our chance!" Audrey whispered, before the two of them quietly - and hurriedly crawled out of the bed.

"Thanks." Jay said after the clipboard was handed back to him. "I - " His jaw dropped when the two girls behind Ben scrambled to their feet. What the hex...

"What?" Ben asked, oblivious. 

Mal looked desperately at him. 'Please don't..' she mouthed, whilst Audrey waved her arms frantically and shook her head.

Alrighty. Time for Mr Jay to save the day.

Not wanting to chew a fellow Villain friend out, he grabbed Ben's shoulders to prevent him from turning. "BEN!" He immediately shouted.

"...Yes?" Ben gave him a weird look.

Mal mentally face-palmed herself.

"Uh, Coach also asked you to come with me."

"What for?"

"To uh... help him blow the whistle for practice. Let's go."

It would have been pretty comical to see Jay grabbing onto Ben's shoulders and walking backwards with him following, but there was no time to laugh. As soon as the two were out of the hallways, Mal and Audrey made a run for it.

"You're pretty sneaky for a princess." Mal smirked when they were finally away from the boys dorm. Audrey laughed and did a curtsy.