Chapter Fifty-Five : Word Vomit?

Hazel: We need to talk. I'll be over your house in fifteen.

My phone buzzed right in the middle of the froyo and Chopped binge marathon I was having.

Yes. I was eating frozen yogurt. It's because my parents are concerned about my ice cream eating habits and are trying to make me be healthier.

I'm eating frozen fruit mush.

I took my sweet time assessing every possible way to respond to Hazel's message. Was 'cool' too eager? Or 'kay' too casual? 'Alright' was way too formal and made it sound like I didn't want her company. Pfft, I wish.

Me: See you then.

Ugh, that was horrible.

Anyway, as soon as she imposed her visit, I imagined how I probably still reeked of bile from this morning, so, naturally, I scurried my ass into the shower.

Shampoo, conditioner, shaving, scrubbing, washing, and the whole Wicked soundtrack later, I heard a knock on the door while I was running around my room in my bra and old-lady hipster underwear (as my brother so fondly calls it when he finds some in my laundry), trying to pick Hazel-appropriate clothing.

"Grace?!" The door opened. And shut. And I heard her footsteps tapping casually on the ground. Figures she'd let herself into my house.

"Up here. Getting dressed, gimme a mo." I mumble-shouted as I grabbed a black tank top and gray-blue plaid jacket I liked. I like plaid. It's like the only lesbian stereotype I prove accurate. And the cats... Damn, I am a clich-gay. Get it?

The doorknob to my room suddenly rattled and I jumped like two feet in the air, yelping.

"Hazel, please tell me that was you and there is no psychopath serial killer trying to break into my room while I'm half naked." I mentally face palmed. Half naked, Grace?! She doesn't need to know that!

"It's me. You said you were in here. Why is it locked?" Hazel was almost cutely oblivious.

"Because I'm in my underwear, Zel." I bit my lip as I fit my legs into my favorite denim shorts. I didn't even want to think about what would end up happening if she walked in on me showing that much skin.

I tousled my hair to dry it as I opened the door. Hazel was there waiting in all her glory. She ran her eyes over my body, causing my cheeks to burn.

"You look... Good." She settled on. My stomach churned. I kept the idiotic grin off my face no matter how badly I needed to beam at Hazel's praise. What's wrong with me?

"You too." I muttered. She looked more than good. She had a white button down top, ripped jeans, and a rich sapphire colored scarf. Not the knit kind either. The kind that was clearly just there for aesthetics. "I like your scarf." I didn't realize I'd said so, but I was glad I didn't tell her that I liked it because it managed to make her vibrant eyes seem even more a raw, pure, almost too perfect blue. But then again, this is Hazel. She's already inhumanly gorgeous, despite my trying to deny it.

"It's Megan's. She made me wear it." I know Hazel wanted me to ask her why because she wouldn't have shown that slight smirk if she had no reason.

"Do I want to know why?" I lifted an eyebrow. She stepped closer, too close. Her chest was hovering too close to mine, but too far away to feel.

"Take a look." She grinned devilishly, tilting her head to the side to give me a better view. I bit my lip again. She smelled really good. Like petrichor and cool, creamy jasmine tea. And like the taste of rain. That sweet but sheer taste, that's kinda what she smelled like.