17. Seaside

Chapter 17

"It's late." Declan said sitting on the sofa alone in the dark. I can tell he was waiting for me.

"I-uh Chase drove me back, i-it's okay." I stuttered. Why is he acting so weird? He is quite new to me since it has been ages since we last got in touch with each other but he is acting all weird.

"I don't like him." He said bluntly while turning the lights on. Yeah, it was a great idea since it was creeping me out a little.

"Who cares?" I spat out. Who cares? Your bestfriend cares, idiot! No, you idiot, he's not even your bestfriend, Beth's your bestfriend! You hardly know the guy anymore! Ugh stop talking to yourself. "I-uh..."

"Who cares? I'm your bestfriend! Don't you care about me?"

"Declan," I sighed, "I don't know you anymore. You were my childhood bestfriend and that's that."

"So are you trying to say I don't mean anything to you?"

"It's not that. It's just that, I don't think you should worry about me. I love Chase."

"I love you!" he blurted out. He loves me? He LOVES me? He doesn't even know me, I mean he does. He did. I have changed, we're strangers.

"What?"

"You heard me! When my mum told me that they were going to see your parents, all those memories we had came back to me. I got really excited and when they went back to get me, they told me that we're staying over here for a couple of days. I thought it was a great idea to reconnect with you again and be with you. You were so important to me but I wasn't aware of Chase."

"Look Dex," I looked down, "We have been apart for a lot of years and I am not that girl from years ago anymore. I've changed. We practically are strangers to each other however, Chase and I, we're in love. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"You're saying that we're not bestfriends, that we are strangers then okay, treat me like a stranger. I'm completely fine with that. Go and be with your 'soon-to-be-famous' boyfriend."

"I'm really sorry, okay? I'd be more than happy to refresh our friendship."

"Oh, what's the point?"

"The point is, I still want to be your friend and I would do anything to still be your friend."

"I'm so sorry, Hattie." he finally softened, "I got carried away. You're allowed to love who you want to. I just- I don't want to let go of the past. You were the best thing that ever happened to me. When you went away-" he cut himself out, "I don't know. You were and still are special to me."

Aw, that was sweet. What am I supposed to say to him? "Well-uhh, let's not restart then but can we just forget about what happened today? You are still special to me too, I don't want to lose my dragon tales buddy ever again!"

He smiled and his smile bursted into soft chuckles that made the atmosphere a thousand times better, "You're still the best, Hat."

"I know." I smiled.

The twins slept in there bedroom so it was just me and Declan downstairs we slept on separate couches. I don't get it. How can Declan like me after a lot of years with no connection. There's something about Declan, he is indeed special. I quickly recognised him when I saw him and he recognised me too, he was my bestfriend. I don't know what we are now, it's a little weird, he just confessed to me and I don't feel the same, I loved that Declan from my childhood. That Declan that I got married to under the tree with Haribo rings, the thought made me smile, does he remember this?