Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Instincts

Drew Holiday

                As I stared at the piece of torn white fabric, the air caught in my throat. If one half of you is dying, the other half retreats and says I might as well die too. So that moment, as the piece of torn shirt rest in between my fingers; I felt like if Hailey might be dead, there was no point in me living. But then my stronger half, my resilient and rational side, said fight to the death.

                Because even when there’s a 99% chance of rain, there’s still that 1% that it will be sunny. No matter how small the chance was that Hailey was alive, I was willing to take it.

                I brought the small piece of cloth to my face, the frayed pieces of string brushing my lips ever so slightly; I inhaled the faint scent of vanilla and strawberries. I winced, as I could only just smell it.

                I glanced up into the setting orange sun, and then into the shady South forest. I thought of Hailey, alone in the dark. My bones shifted into a form not their own, but theirs all the same. I took another sniff at the torn fabric on the ground one last time. The scent was stronger and more refreshing, but too faint to be reassuring still. I tilted my head up in the air and caught the wind in my lungs.

                Nothing, nothing, nothing… and then… the faintest whiff of vanilla and strawberries. The most amazing scent I could ever imagine, and couldn’t think of never smelling again, filled my senses. 

                I took off into the woods, letting my primal side lead me.  But every time I caught the strongest whiff of Hailey’s scent, the trees would swirl in a snap moment and the scent would be lost. Then I’d begin to run off again in a desperate search for the only person who mattered to me. It was almost like I was being prevented from finding her. Preventing me from finding the only thing I wanted.

                I felt my breath heaving and the air catch in my throat… it was as good as pointless now anyway. I had put it off too long. I failed in protecting her. My one and only; my other half.

                I stared blindly into the forest clearing, the leaves tinted in shades of yellow and green and sunshine.  The breeze a cold quiver. All colour drained from the living surroundings. I could never forget the oddly out of place crumbling concrete building in the shadows. The cracked gray walls, the gaping black hole. I wouldn’t have even approached it if it wasn’t for the desperate call of ‘Drew!’

                My vision sharpened. My hearing doubled. My head pounded. My heart raced. It all happened at once. When I heard her voice like that; desperate and ready to give, I was lost in my own attempt. I pushed my canine body as hard as I could, barrelling into the dark gap in the concrete wall.

Hailey Jane Rexler

                Those familiar, cruel, yellow eyes did so much to me, even while doing so little. The mere thought of what they’d done… unforgiveable. I felt so much anger, pain and fear that I couldn’t stand it. I felt my anger echo through me, I swallowed my pride… but even through all of that… my body shouted, telling Drew to hold me now.

‘It’s been a while, hasn’t it?’ the cold scratchy voice said. I could only see the deep shadowy contours of his face, and the stubbly facial hair that covered it, but I knew that turned away toward the wall, were those putrid yellow eyes. I’m surprised I could even summon the right mind to speak.