Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Frustrations

Drew Holiday

I groaned in frustration. I stared at my blank page with malcontent. I was going to fail. That was it. This is the end of Drew Holiday. Hailey hadn't shown up to work on our project, it's been two hours! At this rate we'll never get it done. Hell! We won't even get it started! I wasn't sure which would upset me more, if she had chickened out... or if she had ditched me. Suddenly I heard a knock on the door. I groaned and got up. Just what I needed... one of the boys coming over to annoy me in my time of annoyance. I walked to the door and swung it open. Suprsingly enough, standing there, was a rather flustered looking Hailey. Her hair was ruffled and her bag hung loosely off the wrong shoulder.

'Hey...' she sighed, out of breath. I didn't like her like this, it set me off, she looked so unhappy. 'Pack stuff... wasn't easy to get away.' she smiled. I felt her smile light up one on my face. Her smile had an effect on people, I'd seen it before. On the odd occasion she didn't glare at someone, she smiled... and her upbeat energy was instantly transferred from her to them. But never, had she smiled at me, and I felt lit up like a Christmas tree. This odd happy cheerieness seemed so natural on her, like being rude and snappy wasn't her normal. I liked her a lot better like this, she seemed less... dark. I forgot that I was smiling so brightly, but remembered when a rosy blush crossed her cheeks, tinting her face a healthy pink. 

'Do you want to come in?' I asked her. She just nodded. She followed me into the living room and we sat on the modern couch by the glass coffee table. She sat down and curled her knees up to her chest, her waterfall of dark brown hair cascading down her back and curling around her. She looked like a tiny puppy dog in the vets office. So cute and insecure. I couldn't help but grin as she gave me an odd look, there was just something about her that was so at ease, it made me you feel instantly comfortable around her. I know I probably shouldn't, she was a rebel, a rule-breaker, saying I was friends with Hailey Jane Rexler isn't something you could put on a college application. Then again, that's what everything was about, what would pay off in the long run right? 

'So, what are we doing our history project on?' she asked. I blinked a couple times, not even having realized I was staring at her.

'Uh... I was thinking the civil war?' I said shrugging.

'Well, at least it's relatable.' she said. I raised an eyebrow at her. 'You don't think the civil war is a it like our packs?' she asked quietly.

'Neither of us own slaves,' I noted.

'Not the point.' she muttered. I just laughed. 'Don't you ever feel odd... fighting with your own... people?' she asked. 

'I don't know...' I shrugged. 

'Why are we fighting?' she asked.

'I think it's always been that way,' I said, not quite sure of my answer.

'If we weren't fighting, do you think we'd be one pack?' she asked, leaning back against the sofa, and letting out a soft sigh.

'I thinks so, we live in the same area. We just have the land divided into two territories, it's would be the largest combined space in the country for a pack if we were one.' I said. 

'I just don't like the fighting thing,' she said. 'It upsets me.' She said frowning. Suddenly my mind began to skim through any and every possible way we could end the fighting, why? Because she said she didn't like the fighting. I it my lip and snapped out of it. Since when did anybody else's opinions matter to me? I was the bitter mateless Alpha, that was going wait his whole life for something that would never come. I grimaced to myself. 'Besides, I think the whole thing is ridiculous.' she said.