sixteen

I was afraid. Everybody could tell, but nobody would mention it either, because they felt exactly the same way.

Two months ago, I would not have been willing to risk my life for any of the people in front of me. Everything was different now. Though I would never wish to admit it, these people were my friends, and Ashton, especially, was much more than that. If I would not do it for them, I at least had to do it for the boy who had changed me in so many incredible ways.

That was why I planned to leave during the night to give myself up to Matt.

Leah was still sat on a dusty rug next to Michael's unconscious body, trying not to cry. I felt guilty at the sight of it; they were doing this because they wanted my power, and it was my responsibility to stop running from Matt and Josh and finally fight back. Even if it meant leaving Ashton, I had to go.

"Lilah, what if you could create a force field around Anna and Michael? Wouldn't that be able to stop the spell?" Luke was the first to speak, his blue eyes piercing into me. I felt vulnerable under his gaze.

"All I can do is make it rain. I wouldn't know how to create a force field," I sighed, looking at Ashton expectantly. If anybody knew what to do, it would be him. He may not have Anna's leadership qualities, but he had enough knowledge to at least try and come up with something.

"You have enough power to do it, but you're weak from the spell, and only you can know how to use your powers. If you keep denying them, you're never going to be able to use them." His voice was gentle; probably worried that I would have a breakdown or act like my usual hostile self if he spoke any harsher.

"She could do it, though," Calum added, his arms crossed over his torso. "Maybe she should try."

"She needs to rest," Ashton replied without hesitation. I hated that he was trying to make decisions for me. I could speak for myself. I had not needed him before and I certainly didn't need him now--or at least that's what I told myself.

"There's no time for rest!" Grace looked more panicked than I had ever seen her, which only made me more frightened. "Our friends are unconscious! We need to help them, now!"

"I'll try, okay?" I stood up shakily, surprised when my knees didn't give out on me. "Just give me a minute."

I sat down next to Ashton and exhaled slowly. I had no idea what I was doing, but I could at least try to help them. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine Anna and Michael's bodies in an elastic band. I pictured the elastic stretching further across them, protecting them from the invisible spell. When I opened my eyes, nothing had changed.

I tried again, and this time I could feel the power surging through my veins. It was in my fingers and my toes, but it was like trying to catch something that was always just out of reach; I was too far away, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't grasp it.

"That's enough. You look like you're going to pass out again." Ashton interrupted my focus, his fingers entwining with mine.

"I can do it. I can feel it." I squeezed my eyes shut as another wave of dizziness consumed me. I had to do this. I was so close.

"No, Lilah, stop."

"Just let her do it!" Luke's voice was surprisingly loud, making me jump. "She said she could."

"Look how pale she is, Luke!" Ashton stood up with his hands balled into fists. His eyes were glistening with anger. Luke mirrored his stance, towering above him. Still, Ashton didn't falter. "She's not doing it," Ashton continued, his voice firm.

"Ashton-" I began, only to be interrupted by Luke's angry bark.

"That's not your decision to make! Anna is lying there right now! God knows what's happening to her! If Lilah can help her, she has to!"