nine

The clouds were filled with darkness the next morning, holding the promise of a heavy rainfall. I stuck my head out of the window, standing on my tip toes, and inhaled the earthy scent. I could tell that my predictions were correct; it smelled like soil and damp wood, something that I had learned to associate with the anticipation of rain.

"Lilah?" I jumped back from my large window at my mother's voice and turned around quickly. "Can we talk?"

I frowned hesitantly. "About what?" It was unusual for my mother to want to talk about anything other than work, and she had never made a special effort to converse with me –not since puberty had moulded me into a moody teenager, anyway.

"The coven," she whispered, as if somebody was listening and she didn't want them to hear. I took a step back in shock. I had no idea my mother knew about us, especially since she was hardly ever here any more. Obviously our parents knew about our powers -they had been the ones who had passed them down to us, after all- but we all supposed that they didn't expect for us to make a coven of our own, or at least we suspected that they would ignore it if we did. After all, we were eight very different people who would not usually have idle chit chat in the hallways at school. Our parents probably thought that we wouldn't find out, and therefore our powers would probably never be triggered. They were clearly very wrong.