three

AN: DEDICATED TO MY FAVE GAL LEAH BECAUSE SHE'S ALWAYS SO NICE ABOUT MY WRITING AND ENCOURAGES ME TO CARRY ON AND ALSO SHE'S IN THE BOOK I LOVE YOU GAL AND ALSO HER BOOK IS SO GOOD PLEASE READ IT I WILL PAY U IN PIZZA,, THANKS SO MUCH TO ANYBODY READING, ESPECIALLY TO THE FEW OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN VOTING AND COMMENTING IT MAKES ME V V V HAPPY :) ALSO ANNA IS ABOVE :)

three

The next day, the air was humid, rain still drizzling from the night before. It was the type of humid where you felt suffocated and awaited something to break the tension in the sky. It was the type of humid that told me a storm was brewing, and apparently everybody already knew this as it was the only thing anybody could seem to talk about in the school hallway.

As soon as I got to my locker, I could feel his eyes on me. I glanced behind me quickly to confirm my suspicions. Of course, Ashton was stood at his own locker, his tangled hair brushed off his face today, making it easier to see his attentive expression. The group was right then; Ashton did hold some kind of interest in me.

His gaze held me prisoner for a few minutes longer before I finally spoke up, remembering that Anna had wanted me to befriend him before we told him everything.

"It's impolite to stare." I shut my locker and turned to face him, unsurprised when I found he was still looking in my direction. I found it extremely hard not to glower at him.

I noticed his cheeks redden slightly and I smirked, glad that I had embarrassed him.

"Yes, I suppose it is. Sorry," he mumbled, his tongue poking out slightly as he wet his lips. He was attractive, no doubt about it, but I didn't allow it to affect me. I had no interest in chasing after boys, but I wasn't blind either. In fact, Ashton might have even been 'my type,' if I cared enough to have one at all. I enjoyed looking at him.

"You're new here, aren't you?" I pretended as if I didn't know for the sake of starting a conversation.

He nodded. "I got here on Sunday."

I walked across the hallway and leaned against his neighbouring locker, crossing my arms over my chest in fake interest.

"Not a lot of people choose to live here, so if I were you, I'd get out now while you still can," I said, trying to make my voice sound light and playful. Being nice was a lot harder than it looked. Why he couldn't have just shown an interest in Grace or Anna, I didn't know. It would have been much more convenient.

"Was that a subtle hint to get me to leave?" He questioned, smiling in response to my teasing tone.

"Well, that depends."

"On what?" He was mirroring my light-heartedness now and I was glad that I was doing my job correctly. If I could do this right, it would save me another lecture from Anna.

"On whether you're planning to stare at me every day. It's kind of weird." I bit my lip, hoping to come across slightly flirtatious. I may not have interacted with many attractive boys before but I wasn't completely stupid. Obviously it would help matters if a little bit of flirting was involved. I was terrible at it, evidently, but his cheeks were still glowing with colour, meaning it must have been working.

"Sorry," he chuckled and I automatically laughed too. "I guess I've just never seen girls like you before."

Ashton reminded me of Anna in the sense that he seemed to constantly wear a smile on his face, and it was probable that once he settled in here, almost everybody would like him. This meant that it would be even harder to get him to like me. I supposed I would just have to act the exact opposite of my normal self.