Chapter 33: Moving Towns

It had been a little less than a week since Jerry and Lewis had died, since Jay was shot in the arm and pretty much since their journey in the campsite had ended. The car ride home was awfully silent, and the calls to the each of their families were quite despiteful yet filled with happiness and pure relief. Nate, Vince and Jay’s parents were mostly disappointed in them, finding out that they sneaked out in the middle of the night just to camp out in the forest together.

They were guilty and sympathetic for Chuck’s family to put up with the loss – although his parents only realised now how horrible they had been to him that he was gone. They had mostly taken advantage of Chuck, or even for granted. They never knew what they had until they lost it. That’s how Jay and the boys felt too sometimes. Although Chuck could’ve been bossy sometimes, he was still a good friend and was always there for them.

Sarah’s mother had been an emotional wreck for the week – dishes were left unwashed, beds left unmade, clothes left dirty and the window at the front still hadn’t been redone. The house was a massive mess and stank of oil and old food in the kitchen. No more incense and lavender oils or rose and jasmine oils. Her hair had become scraggly, knotty and greasy and her eyes drooped down as if she hadn’t slept at all in the week, which practically she hadn’t.

 Sarah’s mother parked in the lot of the local Police Station. Some mascara ran down as she dropped Sarah off.

“I just have to go to that shop across this station. The police won’t talk to you for long,” she said, wiping away her tear. Sarah and the boys had been invited to the police station for a little talk about the campsite journey in the week.

They all had to be together to discuss exactly what they knew about Jerry and everything in the forest.  It felt amazing to finally know what it was like to have a shower, wash her hair and brush her teeth was like again. Not to mention sleep in her warm bed that was waiting for her.

“Ok,” Sarah whispered and nodded in response, giving her mother a tiny smile as she turned her back. She pushed open the doors to the station and walked in to stop in the waiting room. Before she could sit or even look at the receptionist to introduce herself, an officer came out of left field and called her over, gesturing with his fingers.

“Sarah Lloyd? The boys are in here, thanks.” He said, stretching out a hairy arm to give Sarah’s way to the door leading into his office. His lips curved into a big, welcoming and warming smile, showing his average teeth a little. His hair swirled into a small patch, revealing the colour of his head at the top. A few white hairs sprouted out.

Sarah pushed her way through a few clients and customers, even a few other officers. She nodded her head once in response and gave a tiny smile back, although there was nothing more to smile about.

Down the hallway and inside the room sat in a half circle Jay, Nate, Vince and Jack. They all turned when the door opened and watched as Sarah sat in the empty seat beside Jack, bounded by their four gloomy faces.

They were all better now; Nate and Vince were of course fine, whereas Jay’s wound was healing over time but was still bandaged. On the other hand, Jack was still frightened about what had happened in the field.

Sarah played with the frayed edges of her denim shorts and sat on her hands until the police officer came around to his desk. They almost felt it was absurd to sit here and talk about everything a week later. Sarah just wanted to be back at home for the week, wanting to forget about everything that had happened.  

“Hi kids, I’m Officer Cameron. Well...I want to thank you all for coming to talk today. This must’ve been a tough week for you.” The others said nothing in return. They sat quietly like they didn’t need to speak at all; just listen. Cameron shifted his weight awkwardly and pushed himself in the seat forward, clutching his hand in the other.