Chapter 29: The Ditch

Sarah woke up to the burnt out smell of the fire and the light sky as the sun began to rise. It was early morning and she already felt wide awake. Not wanting to disturb the others, she laid on her back, looking up at the sky breathlessly. Their area around the burnt out fire was such a clutter. Blankets were thrown everywhere and their bags were thrown carelessly beside them - Jack's packed as storage for all their food. She watched as the sky changed colours - it was breath-taking.

She waited for someone to wake up, and was hoping that Jay would so they could have some alone time again. It seemed to her that every time they were alone, someone was to come in and interrupt them - especially when it was a golden moment.

In a way, she was kind of relieved that Jay liked her. She knew it from the very start that she liked him too, although it was the same with Chuck. The only difference was Chuck showed it, and wasn't afraid of any rejection. On the other hand, Jay was the complete opposite. Sarah wasn't sure she was ok with that.

Interrupting her thoughts, someone from across the burnt logs and branches sat up, rubbing his tired face in his dirty hands. His brown hair had a hint of blonde from the sun and had turned scruffy and messy, like bed hair. He yawned and flopped back his fringe annoyingly. Yes, Sarah thought.

"Hey," Sarah said from across the fire. She tilted her head slightly so she could be seen at a superior angle. Jay scratched his back, almost startled and replied, "Hey! How long have you been up?" He rested on his arm, throwing half the blanket on his legs. The morning air was rather fresh and had been very still lately. Sarah shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. "Like, two minutes."

Jay nodded in response, crushing his lips together. His face looked bored, as if he was sick and tired of being in the campfire even with his friends. Which of course, he was tired of being in the campfire but loved the company of his friend - especially with no parents around.

He tightened his grip on the blanket and raised it back to his shoulders. He then laid back down on his side to face Sarah. They both looked at each other meaningfully and both had that feeling of wanting to talk about the both of them, although they were both afraid of the rejection of the topic.

Jay looked around for new discoveries, although one question had been bugging him ever since the day after Chuck's death. Should I ask her? He thought to himself, but yet again he was going to be surprised and either scared of what her answer would be. He attempted shrugging the question off his chest, but it kept flooding back to him in his mind.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" He asked nervously, not knowing where it was going to go. He cocked his head to the side and watched as she tucked a wave behind her ear, waiting patiently.

"I-I'm sorry to bring this up, but, this has been on my mind for a while now...I just wanted to ask i-if Chuck was still alive and hadn't died, would've you still preferred him over me?" Jay stuttered as he said this. He ran his fingers through his fringe, running them down his neck to his back. She furrowed her eyebrows in response and breath heavily, triggering off an impulse.

She had known the answer to this the whole time she had been with them - even when Chuck was still around. Except she never would have thought she would have to prepare herself to say it to someone. She knew there wouldn't be any strife, because if Chuck was here to hear the answer, there would probably be some argument in him.

"Uhm..." She breathed, hopelessly turning her full body to Jay so he could see her full face.

"No," She whispered, leaving her answer simple and plain. She didn't have the strength in herself to continue the answer, although all Jay did was smile profoundly yet shyly back in response. He was happy with what he had heard. She breathed deeply again and thought he deserved an explanation.