Chapter 11: Spinning the Bottle

The five of them all stepped out from the cabin, ready to start heading back home.

"So, um, which way do we go?" Sarah asked uncertainly, looking in all directions. She felt horrible relying on them to take her home, although they were her only help and way out.

"Hang on; which way did you come from?" Chuck asked, sticking his head out a little further from where he was standing, trying to see if the house was in sight from on top of the hill.

"Oh, yeah...the house was somewhere down there..." Sarah pointed down the hill, gesturing her way beside Chuck.

"Well, if he gets home anytime soon and we're passing his house, there's a chance we're all going to be stuck in the house. So if we go the other way, we'll still find our way home," Chuck suggested, finishing off his strategy with ease, already walking in the other direction like everyone already agreed.

"Oh, yeah, ok! We better start hurrying up, because I don't know how long he is meant to be," Sarah scurried, ahead of Chuck, with her head hanging down while she looked at the ground reluctantly. It was obvious Sarah was exhausted, terrified and that the man had sucked the life out of her. Her eyes were dried out; forming them to become dark red on the edges, and her pale cheeks had turned puffy from all the yelping and crying. Her hair looked all knotty and tangled and she looked as if she couldn't stand up straight, like she couldn't breathe properly. So what was Chuck going to do now? Carry her?

The trees bellowed in the wind softly and the leaves brushed against the trunks gently. They had been walking for at least forty five minutes now, although not having a clue where they were heading to.

"Do you know if we're almost there yet? We seem to have been walking for ages..." Sarah stated, exhausted, after they had been listening to Vince's stories for the whole forty five minutes straight. She sat herself down on the ground, leaning against a tree. She puffed and huffed until she caught back her breath.

"I don't know, did you want to have a break for a while? Have something to eat? I mean, you must be starving," Chuck pointed out, giving Sarah a look, tilting his head and raising his eyebrows. Her stomach was awfully skinny, and she looked like her skin was sinking into her bones, like the man had taken all of the life out of her body.

She nodded quickly, closing her eyes as she did so. The rest of the boys agreed, taking a seat beside Sarah and creating a circle amongst them all. Chuck pulled out some of the leftover meat they had eaten from the night before, shoving a piece on a plate and handing it to Sarah. He gave her a pep smile; in hope to boost her happiness at a time like this. She gave a small smile back, showing the tiniest bit of her front teeth.

In a way, Jay had felt bad for Chuck. No wonder he was sometimes rebellious against everyone. He has a bad family life. He is an only child and his parents never pay enough attention to him since they have their own life problems. But his actions made Jay think otherwise.

"Thanks," she accepted the plate, stuffing her face with the meat. Jay watched as their hands brushed against each other's when he gave her the plate. They were seated near a beautiful, shimmering lake that sat still, perfectly located under a shady, large tree. It hovered over the right half of the lake from where they were standing.

"So, why don't we do something while eating?" Jay interrupted, hoping to break the silence between everyone once again...and the attention Chuck was giving Sarah.

"Yeah, hang on..." Nate reached into his bag, retrieving a bottle from it.

"We finished the water in this, so...why don't we play spin the bottle, yeah?" He smiled around at everyone in the circle, raising his eyebrows at them.