Chapter 4: The Accidental Discovery

Jay threw his blankets and stuffed bags across the room, making them land in one corner of the cabin.

“What’s up, Jay? You look freaked out,” Vince said, jumping on their bags and blankets, laughing hysterically. He was excited for the night they had planned ahead of themselves. Jay didn’t say anything after that. He only stared at the bracelet carefully for the next five minutes.

“Jay, forget it! It could’ve been someone’s fr-from 5 years ago! It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the kidnapped girl’s bracelet. If that’s what you’re thinking.” Chuck sat down against the wall, looking at Jay to Vince to Nate.

“What do you mean, Chuck? Jay, what is it!?” Nate questioned, yelling. He rushed up to Jay, plumping his body beside him.

“I stepped on this. I think it does belong to the kidnapped girl...Well, you know...If she was kidnapped around this town, maybe the kidnapper crossed the campsite? Especially if no one comes here, then it would be his secret location...right?” He looked up at them all, looking at their deceiving faces.

"It could be. But don’t worry about it, mate. It’s not our call to make to find this girl. Then we’ll get stolen and probably be killed.” Nate said casually, as if he expected them all to instantly agree. They all started to unpack their bags. Jay looked deeply in the silver, watching as his own squinting emerald green eyes looked back at him. Chuck looked over at Jay, sighing softly as he rolled his eyes.

“Look, we’re only planning to be here for the night. There’s not much we could do if we tried. They could be anywhere. They could’ve crossed this campsite a-and flew a plane over the ocean! Ok? Take a break, and help set up the beds.” Chuck opened up all the bags, making his bed. He flapped his hands loosely, making them slap against his body.

“Jay, he’s right. Now come help us, would you?” Vince asked, raising an eyebrow. This didn’t settle it. Nobody seemed to agree with Jay that this girl was close by. If no one else wanted to believe she could still be around somewhere, then Jay had to do it himself.

An hour later, the boys’ beds had all been set up.

“So, what should we do for now?” Nate said, jumping on top of the newly made beds, messing them up.

“Now? We just relax...” said Chuck shrugging his shoulders, as if he was about to drift off into a deep sleep. His head sunk into his pillow and his body sunk into his mattress and blankets as if he was going to fall through them, into the ground. Vince grabbed some snacks, opening a bag of chips. He filled a bowl and placed it right in the middle of their beds, for everyone to reach. They were so happy to finally be alone for a night. No one had access to the cabin like they did. They owned the cabin. It was ‘theirs.’

“Oh! I almost forgot! I brought my soccer ball along, want to play before it gets dark out?” Vince suggested happily, peaking outside the cabin window.

“Sure,” the rest of them agreed, and they were off to play a short game of soccer.

“Come on, Jay! It’s 2-4, first to five wins! We’ve got one to go!” Chuck pressured him, yelling behind his back. Jay took one swing back, ready to kick the ball in the goal. He could see Nate sprinting in the corner of his eye, with his chocolate brown, floppy curls dancing about. Jay took one good kick, and in the flash of light it went straight past Nate. Jay turned around, jumping next to Chuck.

“Yeah, that’s how you do it!” Chuck and Jay stopped, laughing and grinning at each other.

“Ha, take that, Vince!” Jay said pointing at him. He had an immature smirk on his face, only one side turning upwards.

“Uh, guys...”  Nate said, pointing downhill for some reason. His face looked scared, but also confused.

“Oh, Nate. Just take it, you lost!” Chuck yelled in between laughs. He slapped Jay on the back, as they both bragged about it in front of Vince.

“No, guys. Really! Where’s the ball?” Nate turned around, his back facing the boys. He stood on his toes, keeping a look out for the ball, but all he saw was a field of lush.

“What do you mean?” Chuck said in pauses, trying to catch his breath while he walked over to Nate. The others ran up beside them both, slightly puffed out.

“It’s alright, I’ll go look for it. I kicked it to wherever it went...” Jay said with one hand on his hip. He squinted into the distance of the field, slowly jogging over. He watched out for the rocky road ahead of him, as he looked in every direction. He turned back over to the boys, who looked like tiny figures from where he was standing. He flapped his arms against his sides, to show he had no idea where the ball went. He then turned around to have another quick scan, but he did not see the soccer ball in a much further distance from where he stood. Nor did he see more fresh grass in the further distance from where he stood. He saw something else. Something that easily terrified him.