Chapter 2: Almost Thinking Twice

Chuck and Jay walked through towering trees and leaves through the pavement. Jay brushed back his scruffy fringe and ran his finger through his hair to the back of his neck.

"So, was your mum alright with it before?" Chuck asked, looking nonchalantly at the ground as they continued to  walk on the path that lead them to the anonymous campsite. He looked almost innocent, almost like he didn't live the daunting life that he did.

Tall trees surrounded them and the pathway too, creating a creepy feeling and sensation as their barrier. The sight slightly feared Jay, although he knew he'd be safe with his so-called sensible group of friends.

Jay opened his mouth to answer but then shut it again when he realised he didn't know the answer. He couldn't figure out why Chuck was asking this question. Obviously, if he was walking with him to the campsite now, then she was alright with it. But Jay didn't bother to question.

Some of the trees were brown and dead with branches breaking off although others had bright green leaves growing on them, full of life. Ahead of them down a small hill on their right was a giant and spacious field, with random wheat stems sticking out from the round. It must've been a farmer's field who lived nearby - which seemed like the middle of no where.

"Alright with what?" Jay finally  replied, giving Chuck an uncertain look and slightly tilting his head to the side like he had no idea what he was talking about.

"Well, you know how you were meant to 'sleep' at my house?" He said casually, although desperate for an instant answer. He used his fingers as quotation marks and raised his eyebrows. Jay paused for a minute before replying, not sure of what he should say. He stepped over a few boulders that sat across the path, blocking his way.

They crushed a few stones and dirt rocks as they walked. Chuck licked his fingers and wiped them on his eyebrows like a tough gang leader. He sensed where this was leading to.

"Oh, yeah...Well, she kind of freaked out about that girl that was kidnapped around here not long ago. B-but I told her it'd be ok. I mean, what are the odds of finding the girl right now? She could be anywhere. She's probably been killed..." Jay added. He didn't look up, although saying those words did suck the life out of him. He cringed on the topic, making that feeling he forgot about come back to him. It circulated everywhere inside his body.

"Yeah, but the campsite is huge and our cabin is a secret place. No one knows its location, so we're pretty much safe...And it's only one night...We'll get home tomorrow by noon - hopefully before lunch though," Chuck said slowly, but as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. He watched as he took each step carefully, slowly examining the dirt that was laid underneath the lifeless, brown weeds.

Jay silently agreed, by not responding like how he usually would - trying to argue. This time, he thought he would let Chuck win. Just this once. After all, it did sound ok for just one night. Vince and Nate didn't say anything either, but Jay had hoped they could interrupt this moment of silence with one of their lame jokes. Now that was the only time he was asking for one of them. He looked ahead of himself, watching as Vince and Nate walked further down the path in front, speeding up like they wanted to avoid them.

Finally, the boys had halted before running off at the front of the cabin. They were almost startled but decided that the forest could be their friend if they let it be. In between the forest and the cabin was a rather short yet rocky old road.

A short barbed wire-like fence blocked off the cabin from the road and the fields surrounding them. The road stretched out to an unending place, probably to another unknown, creepy area that led to the middle of nowhere.

"Hey, look! I can see the cabin now!" Vince screeched, running off like the speed of light, with Nate ready to chase him. He acted as if it were the most exciting thing that had ever happened to him. Jay looked over at Chuck cautiously, trying not to hint anything in particular - although he kept looking behind to the path that would lead them back home.

They all  jumped over the fence, watching as their shirts had a chance of getting caught on the wire. The cabin was quite small although it contained enough space for the four of them. It was painted a darkish green and was a little rusty.

Some of the paint had been chipped off and random planks of wood of all sizes were stacked up beside it, leaning against the walls. Perhaps someone had been here one day to fix the cabin, or maybe even take it down. But the planks looked old and were covered in cobwebs and bugs.

Although they were best mates, Jay didn't like to admit that sometimes he was afraid of Chuck. Well, not Chuck himself, more that he was afraid whenever Chuck got upset. It had to always be his way, or no other way. In this case, there was pretty much no turning back. He tried to shrug off the fact he was scared to camp again, but the creepy thoughts continued to fill his mind and interrupt in between time.

He kept walking, trying to keep his distance from the large weeds popping out randomly from beneath the dead grass. It was not until he took another step, when suddenly he felt something rather hard underneath his shoe. At first, he thought it was a rock. But as his weight leaned forward, he heard the deep sound of it crunch as he pressed into it, pushing it further into the ground. He lifted his foot slowly after looking at the crooked eyebrows on Chuck's face, watching him.

They looked ahead of themselves, watching as Vince and Nate started to set up their beds in the empty cabin, talking 24/7. As Vince and Nate rummaged through blankets and bags, Chuck and Jay bent down at the front, examining the object Jay had laid his foot on. Underneath were two pieces of curved silver, covered in dirt. One had a chain connected to it on the loose end.

Another chain was separated from both pieces, as it looked as if it had been removed from the other piece's end. On one piece, it had 'sar' engraved in it, and the other piece had 'ah' engraved in it, with dirt filling inside the letters. Jay blew the dirt off it, looking over at a confused Chuck. He dug the dirt out of it with his nail, making his nail fill with dirt instead.

Chuck gave it one nasty look, and the wondering thoughts were wiped of from his mind.

"It's probably just some stupid junk lying around. Come on, let's go," Chuck said, interrupting Jay's thoughts. Chuck snatched it and threw it behind his shoulder, leaving it with no worries.

"Hang on, wait!" Jay scavenged through the dirt and dried up leaves that looked as if they had lost their colour for two years. The leaves' patterns had created cuts in the inside, creating them to tear apart easily. Immediately, Jay had become a little frustrated about how dull-minded Chuck turned to be. This was a valuable piece - it was evidence.

At last, he had found both the cold pieces under twigs and loose branches. He could hear Chuck mumbling something ahead of him, but he blocked him out of his mind.

Jay saw the crack on the edges of the pieces, placing them together like finding the last piece of a puzzle that hadn't been found for a long time. They fit perfectly, forming a word. Jay bobbed down and stayed in this crouching position for the remaining time that he held this newly discovered evidence.

The word engraved on the bracelet meant something special - that could help lead them somewhere in the campsite. It could be known as a clue. It was the start to lead them to a foreign location. The location of where that girl had been kidnapped. Sarah.